GCP -> GCX & Midi

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
JohnClark

Re: GCP -> GCX & Midi

Post by JohnClark » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Sharing the effects devices between two amp FX Loops would require at least four unused loops, an A/B to select which FX Send is live, active/bypass for post effects #1, active/bypass for post effects #2, and another A/B to select which power amp section is live... but this eliminates the possibility of running both amps at once.
You cannot necessarily have both effects boards running in a 4CM configuration AND have the amp A/B/Y setup.
The "Y" (both amps active) presents the problem of how do you choose which preamp section is driving the post effects yet keep both preamp section in the signal path. Combining the preamp sections would require a Mixer of some sort.

Without adding a Mixer, you could do the "4 Cable Method" IF you were going to be routing the post effects to a specific amp at all times. For instance, if the post effects of the GT-100 always went to Amp#1 and the post effects of the HeadRush always went to AMP#2 we could simply use two of the unused GCX Loops to switch these effects in/and out of the Amp Effects Loops.
1. Amp #1 FX Send to GCX Loop 5 In.
2. GCX Loop 5 Send to GT-100 Effects Return.
3. GT-100 Output to GCX Loop 5 Return.
4. GCX Loop 5 Out to Amp #1 FX Return.

5. Amp #2 FX Send to GCX Loop 6 In.
6. GCX Loop 6 Send to HeadRush Return Left/Mono.
7. HeadRush Output L/Mono to GCX Loop 6 Return.
8. GCX Loop 6 Out to Amp #2 FX Return.

Seth008

Post by Seth008 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Ok so I have this figured out for the HeadRush pedal board. I have to order more cables to hook up the GT-100 in the same manner. The below configuration allows me to bypass the pre-amp altogether when the HeadRush is turned on. Once I turn the HeadRush off, then I am able to use the pre-amp stage normally for both Amplifiers. Here is my configuration:

Amplifiers:
AMP #1 (Orange Rockerverb MKIII 100Watt) w/ Y-Splitter on both SEND & RETURN FX Loop 3/4 plugs
AMP #2 (EVH 5150 2x12 100Watt) w/ Y-Splitter on both SEND & RETURN FX Loop 3/4 plugs

GCX SEND --> HeadRush Input
HeadRush FX Loop Send L/Mono --> Orange Rockerverb FX Loop Return
Rockerverb FX Loop Send --> HeadRush FX Loop Return L/Mono
HeadRush Output L/Mono --> GCX Return (keep in mind there is a Y-Splitter on the GCX Return for this channel)

Now with this hookup I only have the Orange hooked up via 4 cable method. I mentioned above that I have Y-Splitters on both AMP's FX Loops SEND & RETURN's. Below is the last half of the configuration to hook up the EVH to this so the HeadRush pedal board is using 4 cable method on both amplifiers:

HeadRush FX Loop Send "Right" (3/4 plug) --> EVH Return
EVH FX Loop SEND --> HeadRush FX Loop Return "Right" (running like in stereo)
HeadRush Output "Right" --> GCX Return (keep in mind there is a Y-Splitter on the GCX Return for this channel)
GCX OUT --> NEXT GCX Channel

This configuration allows me to have the 4 cable method hooked up for this pedal board utilizing both amplifiers running in a stereo configuration. When I want to use the HeadRush I select it with the GCP and turn the power on. This bypasses my pre-amps. If I want to use both amplifier pre-amps normally I simply turn off the HeadRush and de-select it with the GCP.

I added Y-Splitters to the FX Loops on both SEND & RETURN of both amplifiers so I can hook up my Boss GT-100 in the same manner. I have read this in other forums and it really has rang true....This seems to have been a very long 3 week journey to get this accomplished, but have learned A LOT and now have the rig setup that I was looking for! I really appreciate everyone's help in getting me off the ground as it was much appreciated.

Thanks!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Eish, I glossed over that the effects boards will also sometimes act as if they were the preamp section... oops! I was thinking only of the amplifiers' preamp sections, and treating the boards as having front end and loop effects only.

In general, you want to avoid using a Y Cable to combine two signals, since what you are ultimately doing is wiring two outputs together. However, I will concede that if it's working for your setup and you like the sound, then rock it!