GCP -> GCX & Midi

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Seth008

GCP -> GCX & Midi

Post by Seth008 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:22 pm

Currently I have the GCP unit connected to the GCX unit. Is there a way to have the GCP control my MIDI hub (mio10)? I would like to be able to switch between the different channel on my Mio10 hub for different Guitar Effect Processor Pedals (Boss GT-100 and HeadRush Pedalboard). Currently, my setup looks like this:

GCP -> GCX (GCP port rear)
PreSonus Audiobox USB II -> Guitar In (front panel)
Guitar Out (rear panel) -> Channel 1 IN
Channel 1 SEND (rear panel) -> AMP 1 (Orange RockerVerb)
Feed Thru (rear panel) -> Channel 2 IN
Channel 2 SEND (rear panel) -> AMP 2 (EVH 5150)

Couple of things to note:
- Presently I am able to switch between AMP1 and AMP2 or play them simultaneously.
- I use the Audiobox for BIAS FX on my PC
- I use the Audiobox for recording

Ultimately, I would like to be able to use my pedal boards (BOSS GT-100 and HeadRush) via MIDI hub (mio10) and use the GCP to switch between MIDI ports and play through both AMP1 and/or AMP2. Currently the GCP is setup to use only 8 channels for the GCX which leaves 4 channels for MIDI stuff (if I understand it correctly). I believe I can also accomplish the same goal utilizing the GCP and GCX channel loops, but would need to configure my setup differently so the pedalboards signal gets to AMP1 and AMP2. However, I would much rather use the MIDI hub as I have purchased it and it will not eat up regular loops on my GCX. Any and all advice is appreciated.

JohnClark

Re: GCP -> GCX & Midi

Post by JohnClark » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:50 am

The Ground Control Pro will itself control up to eight MIDI Devices (your Boss GT-100 and HeadRush count as two) and up to four GCX switchers at once. The button layout you are using gives you eight Instant Access buttons (these default as controlling GCX #1 Loops 1-8) and four Preset Buttons. There are 36 Banks of the four Preset Buttons for recalling sounds on all the connected gear at once. A single Preset will tell each piece of gear what sound it should be on, and set any combination of the GCX Loops.
For instance, a Ground Control Pro preset could tell the GT-100 to it's patch "Chorus Lead" and tell the HeadRush to go to bypass while at the same time setting GCX Loops 1 and 2 to be ON so you hear the GT-100 thru both amps. The next Ground Control Pro preset could recall sounds on both the GT-100 and the HeadRush and set only GCX Loop 1 to ON so all the effects come thru only your first amp.
The reason I say all this is because I am unsure what the mio10 affords you here, however connecting each device to this interface should still work as long as you set up its routing such that the information coming from the Ground Control Pro is sent to all MIDI devices you wish to control from the Ground Control Pro.

p.s. Triggering the audio bypass on the effects pedalboards will still have them in the audio path. To remove them completely, you would still want to route them thru GCX Loops for True-Bypass.

Seth008

Post by Seth008 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi JohnClark,

Thanks Again as you helped me get started with both AMP's and it is much appreciated. Let me answer your question below:

Question: Why am I using the mio10?
Answer: Currently, I have more than just 2 MIDI devices (probably close to 8 altogether with more to come in the future). Instead of daisy chaining them together, I wanted to use the mio10 as a hub to switch between them so the cabling is simpler and cleaner looking. The mio10 also is setup with WIFI for controlling it from my PC.

Side stepping the mio10 configuration (as this is not the forum for that), would you be able to assist with what the cable configuration would be from the GCP to GCX so they can have true bypass? As mentioned before the configuration you provided works great but I also know to do this configuration it will inevitably lead to a complete rearrangement of the devices. Once I get the GCX cabling configured I will work on programming the GCP for MIDI. Though I also do not understand how the GCP can control 8 devices when its MIDI port is used when connecting it to the GCX? The devices I have look like:

GCP -> GCX (GCP port rear)
PreSonus Audiobox USB II -> Guitar In (front panel)
Guitar Out (rear panel) -> Channel 1 IN
Channel 1 SEND (rear panel) -> AMP 1 (Orange RockerVerb)
Feed Thru (rear panel) -> Channel 2 IN
Channel 2 SEND (rear panel) -> AMP 2 (EVH 5150)

Devices I would like to add are the HeadRush and GT-100 using (as you mentioned) true bypass using 2 of the available loops on the GCX. Any help is appreciated as I have sat with this for several hours with no luck. Even the Google's wasn't much help on this one......

Thanks Again....

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Adding the effects boards would be like adding any single effects box in that you will use a GCX Loop for each device you want to switch in and out of the signal path. So adding the GT-100 and HeadRush will require two unused GCX Loops. I'll make my example using GCX Loops 5 and 6 for the effects, but you can feel free to re-wire using any four GCX Loops you want for these two effects boards and the existing amp switching.

1. AudioBox Out to GCX Loop 5 In.
2. GCX Loop 5 Send to GT-100 Input.
3. GT-100 Output (L/Mono) to GCX Loop 5 Return.
4. GCX Loop 5 Out to GCX Loop 6 In.
5. GCX Loop 6 Send to HeadRush Input.
6. HeadRush Output (L/Mono) to GCX Loop 6 Return.
7. GCX Loop 6 Out to GCX Front Panel Guitar In.

That should get you up and running with the Pedalboards routed in front of the amps and able to be bypassed.

Let us know if there are any troubles!

Seth008

Post by Seth008 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi JohnClark,

Again, thanks for all your help with this...Attached is an image of the configuration which is also written out below. I see what you are getting at so I tried to expand on this and somewhere along the line something is incorrect. I think it is something pretty simple here that is just escaping me, but below is the config:

Guitar IN (front panel)
Guitar OUT (rear panel) --> Chan. #1 IN
Chan. #1 SEND --> Audiobox IN
Audiobox OUT --> Chan. #1 RETRUN
Chan. #1 OUT --> Chan. #2 IN
Chan. #2 SEND --> HeadRush INPUT
HeadRush L/Mono SEND --> GCX Chan. #2 RETRUN
GCX Chan. #2 OUT --> GCX Chan. #3 IN
GCX Chan. #3 SEND --> GT-100 INPUT
GT100 L/Mono SEND --> GCX Chan. #3 RETURN
GCX Chan. #3 OUT --> GCX Chan. #4 IN
GCX Chan. #4 OUT --> GCX Chan. #5 IN
GCX Chan. #5 OUT --> GCX Chan. #6 IN
GCX Chan. #6 OUT --> GCX Chan. #7 IN
GCX Chan. #7 SEND --> AMP #1
GCX Chan. #7 OUT --> GCX Chan. #8 IN
GCX Chan. #8 SEND --> AMP #2

Unfortunately, something is preventing the signal from reaching the Amplifiers and I feel it is probably starring me right in the face but I just cannot see it. Essentially, I just added the amplifiers at the end of the signal chain and hopped the signal over all the channels until they got to the end where the AMP #1 and AMP #2 were hooked up. I did it this way so I could turn on/off any of the devices in the signal path when needed and still get the amplifiers at the end. Any thoughts? Again, I really appreciate any guidance on this.....
Attachments
GCX_Config_1.png
GCX_Config_1.png (48.81 KiB) Viewed 1472 times

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:49 am

Hi there,
It looks like it should work with how you have it.

If you have just Loop 7 on or just Loop 8 on do you get sound?

If not you may have a cable not letting the signal through?

Do you get sound out of Loop 1 turned on and an Amp in it? If so, put a cable from Loop 1 to Loop 2 and then put an amp in Loop 2, with it activated and so on until you don’t get any sound, then you will find a cable that is not letting it through. If it works in every loop, then start trying Loop 7 or Loop 8 turned on to use that amp(either or), the turn on Loop 1, with your audiobox and see if it sends a signal, if it does, turn Loop 1 off. Then try Loop 2 with your Headrush, does it send a signal. If either doesn’t, try swapping cables to see if it does.

See how you go.

Cheers Brett
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

Seth008

Post by Seth008 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:18 am

Hi and Thanks! I will give those a shot as soon as I am out of work this evening and post my results.

Thanks Again!

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:55 am

Yea, the first thing to know is if you get sound to either amp with only Loop 7 OR Loop 8 active... no other Loops Active.

Right now your setup has Loops 4-6 with nothing in them so activating any of these loops will certainly mute the signal. Also, for the amp switching to work like you originally wanted, you will need to split the signal coming out of Loop 6 to feed both In jacks at Loop 7 and Loop 8. This can be done with a Y Cable (all three ends MONO) or you can use the Guitar In/Out and Feedthru as I detailed above, only now you would use the Out of Loop 6 to the Guitar In.

Let us know how it goes!

Seth008

Post by Seth008 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:44 am

I was able to get it working as you mentioned. My problem was I had the other loops active while I was testing them out and didn't think that it would cause the signal to break if I had nothing in the Send/Retrun of the empty loops. I went ahead and put patch cables connecting Send/Return together so the signal chain wasn't interrupted if I accidentally activated one of them. I have one last question about this setup and I swear I will be done:

If I wanted to have the GT100 and the HeadRush connected via the 4 cable method utilizing the GCX, then how would this configuration look? I have a bunch of Y cables so I can hook them up and I know how to hook them up individually connecting directly to the AMP, but I cannot get my head around putting the GCX in the middle. Presumably hooking up the pedals would be the same configuration for each, then can you clue me in on how to setup 1 of them utilizing the GCX? I would also like the configuration such that, when the GCX loop (with the pedalboard) is in bypass (turned off) that my signal, then goes directly to the front of the amp for normal usage.

The reason I want to do this is due to the amp modeling both of these pedals simulate when setup. It makes the sound less clear when simply connecting them to the front input on the amplifier. Basically, the preferred way to setup these pedals is utilizing the 4 cable method. I can put together another diagram as well and will attach that shortly.

Thanks Again for your assistance with this.....

Seth008

Post by Seth008 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:32 am

Seth008 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:44 am
I was able to get it working as you mentioned. My problem was I had the other loops active while I was testing them out and didn't think that it would cause the signal to break if I had nothing in the Send/Retrun of the empty loops. I went ahead and put patch cables connecting Send/Return together so the signal chain wasn't interrupted if I accidentally activated one of them. I have one last question about this setup and I swear I will be done:

If I wanted to have the GT100 and the HeadRush connected via the 4 cable method utilizing the GCX, then how would this configuration look? I have a bunch of Y cables so I can hook them up and I know how to hook them up individually connecting directly to the AMP, but I cannot get my head around putting the GCX in the middle. Presumably hooking up the pedals would be the same configuration for each, then can you clue me in on how to setup 1 of them utilizing the GCX? I would also like the configuration such that, when the GCX loop (with the pedalboard) is in bypass (turned off) that my signal, then goes directly to the front of the amp for normal usage.

The reason I want to do this is due to the amp modeling both of these pedals simulate when setup. It makes the sound less clear when simply connecting them to the front input on the amplifier. Basically, the preferred way to setup these pedals is utilizing the 4 cable method. I can put together another diagram as well and will attach that shortly.

Thanks Again for your assistance with this.....
Attached is the image of the configuration for which I am trying to achieve.I would like to use the HeadRush pedalboaord via 4 cable method, but when the GCX loop is turn off I would like to use both AMP #1 and AMP #2 via front INPUT normally. Once the Headrush is hooked up in this manner it should be the same process (with the use of Y cables) to hookup the GT-100 this way as well. Please let me know your thoughts?
Attachments
GCX_4CM_Config.png
GCX_4CM_Config.png (46.07 KiB) Viewed 1448 times