VL Control Switcher Not Reciving Signal

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
BlackStrat1984

VL Control Switcher Not Reciving Signal

Post by BlackStrat1984 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:58 am

Hello,
I've recently bought a VL Control Switcher in order to change channles and activate boost and reverb from a Moen Gec9 to a Laney IRT Studio.

The idea is to trigger a loop of the Moen . This message will be send to one of the 4 input jacks of the VL Control Switcher, which will go through the 5 pin cable plugged in the "MULTI" to the amplifier and change the chanel.

Well, I've tried that and it doesnt work. I can change the channel by pushing the buttons on the VL Control Switcher but not through the Moen.

Do you know how to solve that? Are the 4 jacks suposes to recive trigger events?

Thank you so very much!

nyteowl

Re: VL Control Switcher Not Reciving Signal

Post by nyteowl » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 am

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

After reviewing the manuals for the devices in question, I believe I've sussed out your problem.

The way the Control Switcher works is, it receives incoming MIDI Control Change or Program Change messages at the MIDI IN port, and "translates" them to "On/Off" messages your amp will recognize so you can change channels and activate channel boost, reverb, etc. The 5-pin MULTI Connector Output is not a MIDI connector, but merely a 5-pin DIN connector, and the four jacks you referred to as "...the 4 input jacks..." are not Input jacks at all; they are Output jacks only and cannot receive incoming signals.

Unfortunately, neither the Moen Gec9 nor your Laney are MIDI capable, and the reason you can change channels via the Control Switcher's buttons is they are sending channel change messages to your amp via the cable connected to the Control Switcher's MULTI Connector Output and the Laney's Footswitch Socket, although I have no way of knowing if the Control Switcher's pin numbers exactly match those of the Laney.

Because the Moen is not MIDI capable, it cannot be used as a MIDI controller to operate the Control Switcher, and by extension, your Laney. However, you don't really need the Control Switcher because what you want to do can easily be accomplished via the S7, S8, and S9 jacks of Loops 7, 8, and 9 on the Gec9, unless you're using them to control effects pedals. Please refer to the image on Page 8 of your Gec9 manual, underneath the heading Configuration 2 - Seperate loops as footswitch.

Hope this helps.

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I've picked up over the years. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:00 pm

Hi there,
You can refer to this for the Laney, I’d have to do some reading up on the Moen though.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10086

Cheers Brett
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Hi there,
The moen cant control the control Switcher, you’ll need a midi capable controller, eg Voodoo Labs GC Pro

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

Cheers Brett
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.