Hex Noise

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
ctc

Hex Noise

Post by ctc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 pm

I've added a Hex to my Midi enabled guitar rig and the added noise is unbearable.

Guitar > Wah > Hex Loop 1 In > Loop 1 Out > Amp In. A compressor is connected to Hex Loop 1 SND & RTN. There are no cords plugged into Hex Loop 2 IN, Loop 6 Out, and every jack in between. With the guitar humbucker selected, and Hex Loop 1 turned off, there is a lot of added noise in all 3 channels of the amp: lower noise on lower gain channels and higher noise on higher gain channels.

Turning the guitar volume knob from fully closed to about 7/8 volume sounds like a gradual volume increase in noise. Turning the volume knob the last 1/8 turn sounds like an aggressive filtered sweep from low to high.

The entire rig (the amp, midi controllers, clock, and all of the effects) gets its power from a Furman: the amp and some effects transformers plug directly into the Furman outlets; the Hex, clock, & other effects plug into a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ which is also plugged into a Furman outlet. The midi controllers, clock, Hex, and all midi enabled effects are chained together via midi cables.

If I disconnect the compressor from Hex Loop 1, the noise remains. If I disconnect the midi cables from the Hex, the noise remains. If I disconnect the Hex entirely and route the Guitar > Wah > Amp In, there is no added noise.

What could be wrong?

Thx.

Marlboro05

Re: Hex Noise

Post by Marlboro05 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi ctc,

Have you tested all your cables to make sure there isn’t a cable that either has a short or has a ring disconnected (as In tip and ring). Sometimes when the ring side of the cable is disconnected this produces what you are saying is happening. I just rewired my rig and had a cable with the Ring disconnected and this is what it did, I replaced it with a cable that was tested to have the ring connected and the noise disappeared.

Just a thought and an easy fix.

Cheers Brett.
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

ctc

Post by ctc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 am

Good idea Marlboro05.

I just tested my cables with a simple connectivity meter and found all tip to tip and ring to ring connections good.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:39 am

Will you ultimately be using any of Loops 2-6 in this setup? Loop 1 is isolated from the rest of the loops as well as from the chassis ground, so using it completely by itself may in-fact be the problem.

As silly as it sounds, if you will only be using a single switchable loop in this setup, try routing using the Loop 2 In and Loop 6 out, with your effect in any one of these loops and let us know if there is (or isn't) any change.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:48 pm

Was wondering if the Hex had a removable audio earth like the GCX, here is sort of the answer I was after.

Cheers Brett
And some other stuff.

ctc

Post by ctc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Good call Brett. Thx John. When I connect a 2nd pedal to one of the other loops, and connect the In & Out to the amp's Send & Receive there is no noise at all. I mean it is beautiful quiet. But I must be missing something. When I engage the loop that the effect is in, and the amp's effects loop, the volume drops to next to nothing. I've tried changing cables, even removing the effect, but its whisper quiet. I turn off the amps effects loop and the sound is back to normal. What am I missing?

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:15 am

That sucks, what amp are you using, maybe something going on there to?
And some other stuff.

ctc

Post by ctc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:23 am

It’s a Mesa Mark V. With all of the effects in the effects loop, it works like a dream. If I disconnect them all and plug one effect (Moog MF-104m) into the Hex connected to the effects loop (I don’t have enough chords for the others yet) It doesn’t work. The compressor in loop 1 of the Hex into the front of the amp works great. What am I missing?

ctc

Re: Hex Noise No More

Post by ctc » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:30 pm

I troubleshot this with Ben on Friday and we determined that loops two through four were not working and decided to exchange it. New unit works seamlessly, quietly, and wonderfully. Thx for your help.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 pm

The Mk V is an awesome amp with a serial loop. Glad you got this nutted out!!

Cheers Brett
And some other stuff.