GCP, GCX & Midi

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
Just Mike

GCP, GCX & Midi

Post by Just Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:00 am

Is it possible to setup the GCP to access MIDI presets via individual buttons AND turn loops on and off with individual buttons? Right now I'm just learning how to program it, but I've got it set up to control the GCX via buttons 1-8. I really don't need 8 loops, I'm actually only using 2 but can forsee needing 4.
Here's what I would like to do;
3-4 buttons for rig presets- JMP-1 preset> Intellifex preset> GCX preset
3-4 buttons for override of GCX loops
up/down buttons for Intellifex PCs.

Thanks

JohnClark

Re: GCP, GCX & Midi

Post by JohnClark » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:39 pm

You can assign Ground Control Pro Instant Access buttons to send individual Control Change messages on whatever MIDI Channel you want. They don't all have to control GCX Loops. Common is to assign some to turn individual effects on/off within a patch on an Effects Processor, or to perform other functions as the processor allows.
So with that, I cannot say if the Intellifex supports Preset Up/Down with Control Change messages, but it it did you would be able to program two Instant Access buttons on the Ground Control Pro to step up and down thru presets.
(The Intellifex manual doesn't just give a list of what parameters can be controlled via MIDI Control Change, but given its age my gut says it doesn't do this :cry: )

I hope that helps!

Just Mike

Post by Just Mike » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:13 am

OK, so after wrapping my head around this, I understand that the Intellifex won't respond to CC changes. My workaround is to set custom presets and call them up by PC.
So now, I want to be able to just call up presets like this;
In 10 PRST/BANK I want for example preset1 to call up preset 1 on the JMP-1, preset 1 on the Intellifex and loop 1 on the GCX.
Using the edit button I can do all of this except get the GCX loop to enable. How do I get the GCX to respond when not in instant access?
Midi assignments are ch1-JMP-1, ch 2-Intellifex, ch3-GCX. The Active led is flashing when I change presets.

Also, when I tap either button 1 or 2 (the 2 presets I've edited) a second time, they go to preset 0 on the JMP-1. I have to go back to preset 1 to "reset" them to the original preset on the JMP-1. I don't understand what's causing this.

Thanks!

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi there, with the GCX you don’t assign a channel, in expanders you turn it on. I’d remove the naming of this device and turn it off in devices. Go to expanders and turn on GCX 1.

From the manual:

EXPANDERS
GCX Guitar Audio Switcher
If you have one or more GCX Guitar Audio Switchers, you must enable them here. The Ground Control Pro can control up to 4 GCX units to provide any combination of 32 audio loops and switches.
Enter Setup mode by pressing both [SETUP MODE] buttons at the same time. Then select this category by pressing [EXPANDERS]. The display should read:
To enable the GCX, press [+/YES] to turn GCX #1 on. If you have more than one GCX, press [SELECT 2] to access the next GCX. You can continue to enable GCX units 2 through 4.
For most applications, you will use loops as either audio loops or latching switches. If you need to control a momentary switch function with one of the GCX loops, you must change it from “normal” to “momentary” as follows:
1. Press [SELECT 2 or 1] to select the appropriate GCX.
2. Press [CURSOR 4] to access the desired loop. The display will look like:
LOOP4=NORMAL
Press [+/YES] to select “MOM SW” for momentary switch operation. Press [-/NO] to return to normal.
System Mix Plus
If your rig includes our System Mix Plus and you’d like to use its MIDI volume feature (VCA), you must enable it here. From the “Expanders” category, press [SELECT 2] until you see:
Press [+/YES] to turn the VCA function on.
Note: When the VCA is enabled (“VCA IS ON”), you can only use devices 1 through 7. Memory for device #8 is used to store volume levels.

In devices next to the JMP-1 or whatever you have named it, tap the right arrow and you should be able to change start 01 to 0, so that program change starts at 0, I think this will fix your problem.

From the manual:

Start Number
Most MIDI controlled devices number their programs starting from 1. If your device starts numbering its programs from 0, then the device will always be off by 1 from what is displayed on the Ground Control Pro. You can fix this by telling the Ground Control Pro that it should “start at 0”. Here’s how:
1. Press [SELECT 1 or 2] to choose the device 1-8 that you need to change.
2. Press and hold [CURSOR 4] until the channel is flashing. Then press [CURSOR 4]
one more time. The display will read:
3. Press [-/NO] to select “STARTS AT 00” or press [+/YES] for “STARTS AT 01”.

If it doesn’t, get back to us.

Cheers Brett
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

Marlboro05

Post by Marlboro05 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:18 pm

Sorry I forgot this, after you’ve set up the GCX as an expander. Edit your preset, scroll down to GCX 1, the loop you want turned on for that preset is the button you turn the light on for, 1-8, then hit the edit button again and save yes.

That should do it for ya.

Cheers
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.