Control switcher with helix lt & mark V

Q & A for building and interfacing your rack gear with Ground Control Pro and GCX-based systems.
primeholy

Control switcher with helix lt & mark V

Post by primeholy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:05 pm

I was wondering if the control switcher would fit my needs. I have a Line6 Helix LT and want to do channel switching (3 channels) and the solo function of the amp with my Helix. I was wondering if the control switcher would fit the bill, and what all I would need to make it work.

Marlboro05

Re: Control switcher with helix lt & mark V

Post by Marlboro05 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Hey there,
What amp are you going to be running so that we can help you with what type of cables or custom multi pin/midi type cable you may need.

Cheers Brett
GCPro, GCX, Pedal Power 2+, Pedal Power AC.
And some other stuff.

primeholy

Post by primeholy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Marlboro05 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 pm
Hey there,
What amp are you going to be running so that we can help you with what type of cables or custom multi pin/midi type cable you may need.

Cheers Brett
Thanks!
I’m using a Mesa Boogie Mark V 90 watt head.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:59 am

I don't see why a Control Switcher wouldn't work for this application, and looking at the Mark V's Back Panel, I think your best option would be to use four (4) Mono (TS) cables to connect the Control Switcher to the Mesa's four (4) External Switching jacks.

For a neater appearance you could either make a custom cable with a 5-pin DIN connector on the Control Switcher end that breaks out to 4 TS plugs on the Mesa End, or have the folks at Voodoo Lab make one for you.

You might also try connecting a 5-pin MIDI cable between the Control Switcher's MULTI Connector and the Mesa's Foot Switch connector, but I don't know how well that will work because the Mesa has a 7-pin connector. Pins 1 thru 5 are the same on both, but it all depends on how Pins 6 and 7 are used on the Mesa. Might be worth experimenting with, though, `cuz if it works you'd only need to use a single cable.

Hope this helps...

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I have. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.

primeholy

Post by primeholy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks nyteowl. I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIS8ccqvAkw and it led me to believe I could use two trs to dual ts cables. Thats, what I ordered, but if I need to use different cables, no biggie. Its at around 30 seconds in where they are hooking up cables. Now that I think about it, im probably wrong, cause the device he was using is setup as two remote switches per jack.

primeholy

Post by primeholy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:29 pm

So, i should use ts cables? I was thinking trs, but I dont know anything about this stuff.

nyteowl

Post by nyteowl » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:44 am

primeholy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:29 pm

So, i should use ts cables? I was thinking trs, but I dont know anything about this stuff.
Actually, you sussed this out correctly.

There is no point in you using TRS/stereo cables because all the jacks you'll be connecting to are TS/mono jacks.

I am not affiliated with Voodoo Lab in any way, but enjoy sharing what little MIDI and signal routing knowledge I have. If you find my assistance helpful, please pay it forward.