Trying to work with what I have

Exchange tips and tricks to help you design the ultimate pedalboard.
TommyKnoll

Trying to work with what I have

Post by TommyKnoll » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:09 am

I do not use a lot of pedals and in 14 years of guitar playing this is my first pedal board setup so please give me a little slack when I ask dumb questions.

I have a Zoom CDR70 and a Dunlop CryBaby from Hell on my board powered with a PP2+. No problem so far. But I recently picked up a Line 6 G30 wireless system and want to power the receiver with the PP2+ on my board. The problem is the Zoom and the G30 both have a high current draw. The Zoom has a 500mA rating and the G30 has a 300mA requirement. I have a current doubler from outputs 5+6 on the PP2+ running the Zoom. Here comes the crazy question. Can I safely run 2 current doublets to create a current tripler to power the G30? I have plenty of unused 100mA outputs and for me to purchase 2 adapters would be much cheaper than buying a different/additional power supply. What I'm proposing would be one adapter in outputs 1&2 and another that would plug into output 3 and the green connector sum output of 1&2 and then to my G30. It seems like that's not a safe, proper way to do this... Can anyone help?

JohnClark

Re: Trying to work with what I have

Post by JohnClark » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Is the Zoom pedal the MS-70CDR? If so, then it's actual current draw is under 150mA so it wouldn't need the Current Doubler adapter and can be powered directly from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal.

The Relay G-30 draws less than 250mA and can also be powered from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP Switch set to Normal.

I hope that helps!

TommyKnoll

Re: Trying to work with what I have

Post by TommyKnoll » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:59 pm

That does help, John. Thank you. The zoom is the model you mentioned so I will go that route. The mA ratings on the pedals seem to be incorrect a lot of the time I'm finding. I'll have to take a multimeter to any others I may purchase in the future. Thank you again!