Pedal Power 4x4 Hum - take 2

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
goodgina

Pedal Power 4x4 Hum - take 2

Post by goodgina » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Howdy all! Just upgraded to a PP4x4 from a PP2 today. I purchased this b/c I was replacing a pedal power 2. I have 6 pedals powered by this. After I was up and running for a bit, I noticed a hum from my amp. I dbl checked all my connections, swapped cables, etc. etc. I then started the elimination test. I powered down my board and the hum disappeared. Started isolating each pedal... and it seems to be coming from both my Timeline and my BigSky. Does this make sense... I independently tried using the original power supply on the BigSky, then the Timeline hummed. Then I plugged in the BigSky and powered the Timeline independently, the hum followed. Could it be the 12v on the H9? I power down the H9, same hum. I am perplexed

My board is set up using the PP4x4 (left to right) as follows:

Timeline, Empty - > Empty, H9 -> Chase Bliss Brothers, King of Tone -> Poly Tune2, Boss LS2 -> Empty, BigSky

I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you!!

JohnClark

Re: Pedal Power 4x4 Hum - take 2

Post by JohnClark » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:23 pm

I'd firs try running just one pedal connected and swapping between the two power sources.

Are these pedals in front of your amp or in the FX Loop of an amp?

goodgina

Re: Pedal Power 4x4 Hum - take 2

Post by goodgina » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:39 pm

Thank you, I will try that. I am sorry I didn't explain my chain. I am using the a wet/dry system for stereo purposes. The 2 overdrives are running into the front of amp1 (dry) and the three stereo pedals are running into the effects loop of amp1 and with one send leg going into the return of the fx loop on amp2. (Amp2 is a slave essentially). Also, aside from separate power supplies, this is exactly the same configuration I have been running for several months now. In other words I did not introduce any new gear, just installed the 4x4.

Thanks again!