It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sad day: PP2+ emitting noise
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 pm 

Well, today is a sad day. When you turn on your pedalboard and you are greeted with a good ol’ 60 cycle hum. Bought a brand new PP2+ about a month ago and it has been fantastic. I added a POG clone (using a wall wart ONE SPOT) to my board the other day and my board has been quiet since... until today. Now my board has noise. It was intensified by the One spot, so I unplugged that. Noise persisted. Curiously I moved around some loose patch cables underneath the board, and as they approached the bottom of the PP2+ the noise intensified.

So let’s do a rig rundown.

Pedaltrain Novo 24
Undersided mounted Furman AC215A & PP2+

Guitar > Polytune 3 > Xotic Comp > Mooer POG clone > OCD > Tommy > Phase 95 > Decimator > Timeline > WET > EP Pre > Ditto > VOX AC15

PP2+ assigned outlets:
1: Timmy @ 12v
2: Out Splitter > WET & Phase 95 (88 total mA)
3 & 4 combined: ISP Decimator (35 total mA, going to be adding an EHX Freeze to this making the total 185mA)
5: Timeline (250mA total)
6: Out Splitter > DITTO & Polytune 3 > Polytune OUT to EP Pre (157mA total)
7 & 8 combined 18v: OCD & Xotic SP Comp
Courtesy Outlet: 3 outlet 6 foot extension cord. 1 9v One Spot to Mooer POG

Basically, I traced the noise to OUTLET 6! When Outlet 6 is unplugged, no noise. However, once it is plugged in. Noise. So I did some digging. Basically the noise goes away when I disconnect the Polytunes DC outlet which is powering my Echoplex Preamp. No noise emanating from the PP2+. Also, combining an outlet for the Timeline doesn’t make a difference, so giving the timeline more juice doesn’t remedy the noise.

Thought it might be the Polytune. However... rearranged the PP2+ outlets to this config.

PP2+ assigned outlets:
1: Out Splitter > Timmy & Polytune 3 @ 12v (53 total mA)
2: Out Splitter > WET & Phase 95 (88 total mA)
3 & 4 combined: ISP Decimator (35 total mA, going to be adding an EHX Freeze to this making the total 185mA)
5: Timeline (250mA total)
6: Out Splitter > DITTO & Mooer POG (228 mA total)
7 & 8 combined 18v: OCD & Xotic SP Comp
Courtesy Outlet: 3 outlet 6 foot extension cord. Nothing plugged into it.

So now the Polytune is not making noise and the EP Pre is taken out of the equation entirely. No brainer right? Wrong. Now the when the Mooer is plugged in the PP2+ makes noise. Unplugged and it doesn’t. Disconnect outlet 6 and poof noise gone.

So I’m lost. I’ve tried Outlet 5. I’ve tried a new Output splitter. New DC cables. Nothing. The weirdest part is this setup has been working for weeks. The odd thing is when I DONT Use a splitter on Outlets 5 or 6, everything is fine. So what the hell, isn’t it designed to handle splitters at any outlet? Why does it have the problem now? My board hasn’t left my bedroom so it couldn’t have gotten jostled.

Please help.

Post subject: Re: Sad day: PP2+ emitting noise
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:50 pm 

Wow!

It looks like it is all down to pedal combinations not liking the shared power from the Output Splitter rather than something the Pedal Power 2+ is doing. Not sure why it would have once worked, but you've completely changed from that original setup now anyway ;)

Leaving all else as it sits per your new setup, what happens if you remove the doubler on Output 3 and 4 so you have the following...
-Decimator on output 3 (with the DIP Switch set to Normal)
-Ditto on Output 4 (with the DIP Switch set to Normal)
-Mooer on Output 6 (with the DIP Switch set to Normal)

Post subject: Re: Sad day: PP2+ emitting noise
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:59 pm 

What happens is the noise is gone! So can confirm that the amount of splitters and doubling I had going on was causing some conundrum tho I’m sure I never noticed before because of the Decimator filtering a lot of it out.

Anywho, so it’s great to know it wasn’t the PSU, however, with my upcoming expansion (EHX Freeze. El Cap) it looks like I’ll have to upgrade to a Mondo ahahah. But for now! I can jam easily.