It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PP2+ and El Capistan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:46 am 

My board has a Pedal Power 2+. The El Cap acts a bit weird when plugged into 5-6 (Normal dip switch position). The delay works for about 30 seconds then the delay audio stops and the button flashes rapidly. For a while I was able to get El Cap to run plugged into 1-4 & 7-8 (Normal dip switch position). That seemed odd because I understood the El Cap requires 250mA. Am I wrong?

This went on all winter and this summer, until last week. Now none of the outputs on the PP2+ will power the El Cap. It always ends up with no delay and flashing rapidly.

So, I am using a One Spot to power the El Cap from the PP+2 courtesy outlet and that seems to be working fine.

What am I doing wrong?
Are these the correct dip switch configs?
Pedal Power 2 Plus, DIP switches set NORMAL
Output 1: 9VDC 100mA
Output 2: 9VDC 100mA
Output 3: 9VDC 100mA
Output 4: 9VDC 100mA
Output 5: 9VDC 250mA
Output 6: 9VDC 250mA
Output 7: 9VDC 100mA
Output 8: 9VDC 100mA

Pedal Power 2 Plus, DIP switches set AWAY from NORMAL
Output 1: 12.3VDC 60mA
Output 2: 12.3VDC 60mA
Output 3: 12.3VDC 60mA
Output 4: 12.3VDC 60mA
Output 5: 12VDC 200mA to 14VDC 50mA
Output 6: 12VDC 200mA to 14VDC 50mA
Output 7: 4-9VDC 100mA
Output 8: 4-9VDC 100mA

Post subject: Re: PP2+ and El Capistan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 pm 

A Pedal Power 2+ should absolutely be able to power the El Capistan from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal.

You have the specs correct for a Pedal Power 2+... is it possible you have the older Pedal Power 2, not the later "+" version?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:57 am 

JohnClark wrote:
A Pedal Power 2+ should absolutely be able to power the El Capistan from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal.

You have the specs correct for a Pedal Power 2+... is it possible you have the older Pedal Power 2, not the later "+" version?

I double checked last night, and yes this is the PP2+ all dip switches on normal. I also noticed that my nano phaser can eat very odd sometimes, usually after rewiring the board.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 am 

I understand you are already in contact with us via info@voodoolab.com. I suggested that we offer to get your Pedal Power 2+ in for me to take a look at and that maybe you also send us your Small Stone Nano and El Capistan so we can get to the bottom of it all. No good reason this shouldn't all just work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:16 pm 

JohnClark wrote:
I understand you are already in contact with us via info@voodoolab.com. I suggested that we offer to get your Pedal Power 2+ in for me to take a look at and that maybe you also send us your Small Stone Nano and El Capistan so we can get to the bottom of it all. No good reason this shouldn't all just work.

WOW, you are on the ball! Thanks. Can you confirm that the power ports and the corresponding dip switches are in the same order left to right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:33 pm 

The DIP switches are indeed oriented in the same order as the jacks they are associated with... they are even numbered to match the jacks they are associated with.

In your case, both pedals we know about should be on jacks that are set to Normal. Have you tested these pedals with nothing else connected to see if they then behave correctly?
What are the other pedals you are powering with this Pedal Power 2+?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 pm 

JohnClark wrote:
The DIP switches are indeed oriented in the same order as the jacks they are associated with... they are even numbered to match the jacks they are associated with.

In your case, both pedals we know about should be on jacks that are set to Normal. Have you tested these pedals with nothing else connected to see if they then behave correctly?
What are the other pedals you are powering with this Pedal Power 2+?

OK, I figured, but with no labels on the bottom (installed on a pedal train) I thought I would ask. In addition to the nano Small Stone and the El Capistan I have an Iguana Tail 5 Channel looper, Bass Big Muff, Russian Big Muff V7 or 8 with a 9V cable connector, Dirty Little Secret MKII with voltage doubler cable for 18V, Axtron CHR5, a VooDoo Labs Tremolo, Boss OC2 and a PolyTune Mini 2. I believe the tuner, chorus and octave are powered via the Iguana Tail.

I'll disconnect all the pedal except the phaser and the El Cap and report the results. Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:34 pm 

All your pedals should be on outputs set to Normal, with possibly the OC-2 being the exception*. For fun, you could put the Bass Big Muff and Big Muff on outputs 7 and 8 with the DIP Switches set away from Normal to dial the voltage down to get some grittier sounds out of them.

*An older OC-2 would have used the Boss ACA type power adapter and should be powered from any one of outputs 1-4 with the corresponding DIP Switch set away from Normal. Later versions of the OC-2 would have used the Boss PSA type adapter and should be fine to power from any output with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal or from your switcher. There should be a sticker near the power jack on the pedal that indicates if it is an ACA type, or (if it isn't covered with Velcro) the sticker in the middle of the rubber pad on the bottom will also indicate which Boss power adapter this one used.

The switcher itself does not draw much power, however once you start powering pedals from its DC outputs the current draw at the Pedal Power will go up. I don't think this is necessarily the root of your problem here, but I would suggest powering the switcher from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal if you will also be using the DC outputs on the Switcher.

Let us know how the test goes!