PP2+ and Strymon 300mA needs

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
ilonanna

PP2+ and Strymon 300mA needs

Post by ilonanna » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:43 am

Hi there,

I want to plug in two Strymon pedals, the Timeline and the Bigsky into the PP2+. They need a minimum of 300mA each. Can I plug the Timeline into 5+7 on the PP2+ and the Bigsky into 6+8 with the DIP switch set to normal on the back?
I thought this would give me 350mA but when I asked Strymon about it they didn't recommend it saying that spanning two outputs that are not putting out the same amount of current with a current doubler is not good practice, as they will compete for the output and current may flow into the lower current output, damaging the supply. So, they said I will not be able to power both of these pedals directly from the PP2+ outputs.

They recommend using a current doubler (not voltage!) to span outputs 5 and 6 to get 9V, 500mA and to make sure the switch on the bottom is set to NORMAL for 9V. This will be enough to power one pedal.
Then for the the other pedal they recommend using the courtesy output on the back of the Voodoo Lab unit to connect the factory power supply for the other Strymon pedal and power it that way. That would be the best way to power both of these pedals from the Voodoo Lab supply Strymon says.

Has anyone plugged these pedals or similar pedals into the outputs 5+7 and 6+9 before?
What do you think is the best way to go about it?
And if I end up plugging into outputs 5 and 6 for one pedal and into the courtesy outlet for the other pedal what cable is it I need to connect through the courtesy outlet?
Would it be ok to plug a power strip into the courtesy outlet on the PP2+. I think it has some maximum power rating like 200 watts, but there's almost no way I will hit that maximum just powering pedals right? But would it be ok to plug in say the Strymon Timeline and a few other pedals or is that pushing it now? :)

So many questions and I really appreciate you taking your time to help and respond. Cheers

JohnClark

Re: PP2+ and Strymon 300mA needs

Post by JohnClark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:47 pm

With a Pedal Power 2+ you can absolutely use dissimilar current rated outputs combined with the Current Doubler Adapter (the one with the Green end), just be sure to have all corresponding DIP Switches set to Normal. This will allow you to power both your Strymon pedals, no problem!

Their suggestion on using both 5 and 6 as well as the Courtesy Outlet will also work.

For the Courtesy Outlet, you are correct in your assumption that you likely wouldn't get anywhere near the 200 Watt limit. A typical power supply for a pedal is likely going to consume only 12 - 20 Watts.

I hope that helps!

ilonanna

Post by ilonanna » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:22 am

Thanks heaps for your advice! I will try both options plugging Timeline into output 5+7 and BigSky into 6+8. And I will also try powering one Strymon through the outputs and one through the courtesy plug using a power strip so I can power a few pedals. Do you know what cable/power strip it is exactly that I need for powering pedals through the courtesy plug?

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:08 am

If you have an (220-240VAC) Export model Pedal Power 2+ then the Courtesy Outlet will be a Reverse IEC.

You will need something with a C14 plug to connect.

https://www.google.com/search?q=iec+c14 ... 63&bih=857

I hope that helps!

ilonanna

Post by ilonanna » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:36 am

That's exactly what I need. Thanks heaps JohnClark I really appreciate it :)