It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions on powering prospective setup
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:42 pm 

Howdy,

I'm a new user and new to the idea of a rack setup. I'm in need of some help with a few things before I go and spend the money. So here's the prospective rig:

Genz Benz el Diablo 100 head, TC Electronic G-Major, Voodoo Lab GCX, Boss PH3, MI Audio Tube Zone, Line 6 Roto Machine, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and Eventide Timefactor, some sort of power unit (whichever is most suited). All this being controlled via the Voodoo Lab Ground Control MIDI board.

What I need to know is how I can most effectively power this setup. I'm looking to buy a few products from the US (I live in Australia) so I need to make sure I don't screw anything up with power differences. From what I understand, anything that doesn't use direct AC power I should be right to buy O/S.

The majority of those pedals are standard 9v, with the exception of the Timefactor with is 9v 1,500mA. The other one that's different is the GCX. From what I've seen in other posts on here, it's possible to power it from the Pedal Power (or similar eg. T-Rex, I assume) but that if you want to phantom power the Ground Control it needs more. Does this mean 12v? And how much more power does it draw than a standard pedal?

Basically what I'm after is whether or not it's possible to power this setup from one power supply unit, whether it's the Pedal Power or one of the T Rex Fuel Tanks. Apologies for this being a little long-winded haha. Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Questions on powering prospective setup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:40 pm 

A Pedal Power 2+ will power all but the GCX. The GCX requires 9VAC @ 1A if it is to phantom power a Ground Control Pro. The GCX does come with a suitable power supply for this. A Pedal Power Versa would power all including the GCX, yet seems to me to be overkill for this particular setup.

*These are merely opinions from the semi informed... use them as you see fit.*
Without trying to start a debate, please consider the down side to using a US model in order to save a negligible amount of money on just the purchase price of the power supply you choose. The benefits of having an all in one power supply for this rig would be negated in my opinion if it also needed a step down transformer to convert the incoming power.
-A step down transformer is not usually free.
-A step down transformer usually is not a torroid and thus may add noise relative to its proximity to other gear.
-Your gear is now one miss connection away from over voltage meltdown. (No manufacturers warranty will cover this)
-A step down transformer suitable to handle the entire rig can start to get quite large and heavy.

Post subject: Re: Questions on powering prospective setup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:35 pm 

Cheers mate!

I am intending to buy the power supply unit in Australia so that I don't need to deal with the complications of voltage conversion. The units I'm looking to buy from the States are the GCX, the Eventide delay and the Ground Control. Would an Australian power cable be suitable for an American GCX? Or, if I were to power the Ground Control independently from the GCX with an Aussie 9v supply, would the GCX then be able to get power from a Pedal Power or similar?