It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with PP2 plus noise
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:12 pm 

Hi

I have a PP2+ undermounted on my pedalboard and when I place my strymon pedals over top of the area where the power supply is located I get an annoying buzz. When I move the pedals or supply away a couple of inches the buzz disappears.
Unfortunately, relocating the pedal or power supply is not an option due to the nature of my board and setup.

Is there any knowledge out there that could lead me to a solution? Somehow shielding the electrical interference this is causing?

It's defiantly not a hum, or ground loop...I've narrowed that down already.

Any help is truly appreciated, thank you!

Post subject: Re: Help with PP2 plus noise
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:31 pm 

Exactly which pedals are these? How are they being powered? And, what audio cable are you using? Can post or email a picture of your pedalboard?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:22 pm 

Here's pics of the top view and bottom view of my board. The buzzing occurs when any one of my Strymon pedals are placed in the position wher the Möbius is in the pic. The timeline and the Blue Sky experience the same result but ONLY when place in the position where the Möbius currently is otherwise each pedal is dead silent when moved away from this position.

This position is consequently directly above where I have the PP2+ mounted.

Attachments:
File comment: Here's my pedal Layout top view
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG [ 47.66 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:24 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG [ 38.74 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 pm 

Other troubleshooting I have tried:
- swapped strymon power supplies
- powered the Strymon pedals with a second PP2+ and current doublers
- isolating the PP2+ to a different circuit (other than power bar in pic)
- swapped the George L cables
- powered the PX-8 with alternate power on separate circuit
- changed loops on the PX-8

The problem only occurs when any Strymon is on any loop as long as it's placed in the position above the PP2+ And engaged.
When I physically move the PP2+ away from the unit, the buzzing stops. Or if I deactivate the effect from the PX8 looper it stops.

The angle of my board doesn't allow me to move it down further and can't be mounted further to the side because of ac outlet.

Last edited by Ddahl69 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:36 pm 

Do you get the same problem when no power supply is connected to the Courtesy Outlet on the back of the Pedal Power?

I know you say moving it away helps, but can't actually be done but can you rotate the Pedal Power 180 degrees? If so, does it change anything about the noise?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:59 pm 

Courtesy outlet made no difference...will try the 360 swap and post back.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 am 

No luck...swapped the pp2 both 180 degrees and 90 degrees (didn't fit) but same buzz....I'm stumped. I move the pp2 away and the buzz disappears. I really do appreciate your responses however, thank you. I'll try anything at this point, I'm so desperate to solve this as I have many gigs rapidly approaching and need to find the answer soon!

I'm no electrical engineer so any advice helps...is there any shielding products, or insulating stuff on the market that would solve this interference?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:29 am 

If the problem is from the small magnetic field around the transformer, another thing to try would be to swap some of the outlets around... something like pedals in outs 1,2,and 3, move to outs, 4, 7, and 8. Exactly which pedals are being powered from the outputs on the Pedal Power 2+ and which outputs are they using?

People have had some luck using Mu Metal as a magnetic shield, although I cannot say for certain this will help here. I suppose it could be worth a shot if nothing else works and there really is no way to move things around under the board... your picture is a little close in, but would it be possible to mount the Pedal Power on the opposite end of the power strip you have there if you slide the power strip to the right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:47 pm 

Well, it seems i have the problem solved...I hope this info may be helpful to anyone else who experiences this same issue.

As i was switching the power plugs to different spots on the unit i noticed the buzz was still there EVEN while the Möbius was powered off and it only existed on loop 5 of the PX-8...so i started looking at the whole picture again...

The pic of the pedalboard may not show this, but if you can see it, all of the pedalboard cabling (George L's) coming in and out of the Strymons on the top row are run together, and travel in the same direction out of each unit EXCEPT the Möbius, which the cables run one off the left, and the other on the right side of the unit. As I was juggling things trying to figure out the buzz, I removed the Möbius from the board and was investigating the cables again...lo and behold, and truly by accident, when i placed the return cable along side of the send cable, on the right side of the Möbius the buzz went away! I repeated the process on the left side to be sure, and sure enough, it worked on the left as well...separate those 2 cables and the buzz reappeared.

Once again, I'm no engineer and dont what caused this but the problem has been solved! And i hope anyone else out there can benefit from this info.

I wanted to say a HUGE thank you to you John for all of your help, advice, and fantastic response time...it was truly appreciated!!! My rig is now whisper quiet!!!

Thank you so much!!!