It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does PP4x4 have surge protection?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:29 pm 

Forgive me if this has been answered already.

Just installed the Pedal Power 4x4 (120v version), and am traveling out of the country for a few weeks with it. I'll have step down converters for the 220V power in Africa, but the power is sometimes iffy over there.

Does my 4x4 offer surge protection and power conditioning? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Does PP4x4 have surge protection?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:43 pm 

There is no Surge Protection or Conditioning in the normal use of those phrases... this is usually a description used for something that has filtering on Mains AC Outlets.
(Pedal Power models with the Courtesy Outlet offer no further protection or filtering on the Courtesy Outlet. It is simply directly wired to the AC Inlet.)

At the AC Input side of a Pedal Power is a Transformer with a Thermal Fuse to protect against overheating. A Surge would have to be rather significant and last for a while to cause harm to a Pedal Power... to the tune of literally everything else in the area would likely be destroyed before the Pedal Power would be damaged ;)
Now plugging it directly into 220V and leaving it there is another story, so be sure that Step Down is always in front of it.

The Outputs are all Regulated to 9VDC or 12VDC with some filtering to make a nice flat and quiet DC output. In that way I suppose you could call it "conditioned" but really the only way it is going to deviate is if the incoming AC is too low, in which case the Outputs might dip down some or start to have some noise... however this too won't harm the Pedal Power nor anything powered from the Pedal Power, and again it is likely that everything else around you has already failed to the point that you probably wouldn't even hear what the pedals are even doing anymore.

Safe Travels!

Post subject: Re: Does PP4x4 have surge protection?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:34 pm 

Thank you so much! Makes perfect sense and I hear you loud and clear.

Jeff