It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do I have a power problem?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:33 am 

After literal years of considering, planning, building shopping carts and board mockups online, I finally sold my entire pedal rig -- a hodgepodge of gear collected over the course of 10 years or more -- and bought an entire new rig from scratch.

I fit everything on my new Temple Board Trio 28, ran all cabling, ran all power to my Voodoo Labs Mondo, and had horrible signal problems. Intermittent noise and full signal loss. I thought I had tracked it to my tremolo (when I turned it on I had full signal, when off my signal died), but I pulled everything off the board and played each pedal individually (guitar > single pedal > amp) and every pedal worked fine on its own.

I tried building back one pedal at a time, and I've tracked the place in the chain where the problem occurs, but it's not cable related (double checked the cables and even swapped with brand new, still-in-package backups I had ordered), and again all pedals work fine on their own. I'm thinking there's some point in building the chain where I'm overloading the Mondo somehow, but all my pedals are very standard fare.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss and incredibly frustrated.

FYI, chain is Keeley 4-Knob Compressor > Ernie Ball JHS Modded VP Jr. > Boss TU-3 (tuner out) > Crybaby 535Q > JHS Morning Glory > Fulltone FD2 > Walrus Jupiter Fuzz > Fulltone Mini DejaVibe > Diamond Tremolo > Strymon Timeline > Strymon Big Sky

Cables are all brand new DiMarzio braided cables. Built like tanks.

Post subject: Re: Do I have a power problem?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:11 pm 

Typically signal dropouts, particularly when a true bypass pedal is bypassed (your Diamond Tremolo for example) are due to a failing cable. The reason it is significant in the example you gave is that when bypassed there is no buffer or other active circuit driving a loaded down cable and the signal can be significantly diminished or drop out completely.

However, lets run through how each of your pedals should be powered just to be sure everything is happy. There are some pedals that might have unique power requirements in your list.

The 4-Knob Compressor, JHS modded VP Jr., TU-3, Morning Glory, Jupiter Fuzz, and Diamond Tremolo can each be powered from any output to the right with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal or any 9V output to the left.

The TimeLine and BigSky should each be powered from one of the 9V High Current Outputs to the left side.

The Full Drive 2 will accept 9-18V so it can be powered from any output on the Mondo. For 9V operation you can use any output to the right with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal or any 9V Output to the Left. For 12V operation you can use any one of the "ACA" outputs to the right with the corresponding DIP switch set away from Normal or either of the 12V outputs to the left. For something in the 15-16V neighborhood, you could use either of the "L6" outputs to the right with the corresponding DIP switch set away from Normal. For 18V operation you would need a Voltage Doubler Adapter connected to any two outputs to the right with the corresponding DIP switches set to Normal or any two 9V outputs to the left.

Both the 535Q and the Mini Deja Vibe have had models that accept only 9V or only 18V... check closely on which ones you have. For the 9V models you can use any output to the right with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal or any 9V output to the left. For 18V models you would need a Voltage Doubler Adapter connected to any two outputs to the right with the corresponding DIP switches set to Normal or any two 9V outputs to the left.

Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:51 pm 

No luck. Started from scratch again this afternoon, building one pedal at a time. At some unpredictable point during the build (always somewhere between the Fulldrive and the Tremolo), I get the issues. Strangely, working backwards and removing pedals doesn't help, as the issue seems to "infect" the entire chain once it starts. Most oddly, the signal cuts in and out at this point based on literally any interaction with the board. Turning pedals on and off (now popping, by the way), rocking the volume or wah, even tapping the board with my hand... amything can cause the signal to cut in and out or suddenly go fizzy.

I'm well past the point of frustration so I'm putting it all away for a few weeks. Maybe I can come back to it with some fresh perspective down the road.

Appreciate the help!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:40 am 

Well that is certainly a strange one. These sorts of gremlins can definitely be frustrating to eliminate.

Perhaps try this setup out without the seemingly problematic pedals to find if the problem persists?

Let us know what you find!