Pedal power 2 plus effective power draw

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
anosters

Pedal power 2 plus effective power draw

Post by anosters » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:28 am

Hey guys!
We are a group of 3 french students, and we have a project to complete before march. We are trying to power a whole rock band on a battery. So we already selected the guitarist rig but we encountered a small problem: How much power does the pedal power 2+ draw from the wall plug?

The pedalboard is fairly standard and is composed of:
- Boss os2 Overdrive – 9V – 12 mA
- TC Electronic FlashBack Delay – 9V – 100mA
- TC Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb – 9V – 100mA
- TC Electronic Corona Chorus – 9V – 100mA
- Dunlop Crybaby CB-535Q Wah -9V – 2,5mA
- Boss NS2 Noise Gate – 9V – 20mA
- TC Electronic PolyTune 2 Tuner - 9V – 100 mA
- Xotic SP Compressor – 9V – 5 mA
- Voodoo Lab pedal power 2 plus

Does the Pedal power draw exactly the power drawn by the pedals or does it have a lot of power losses?

Thank you for taking the time to read me and excuse me if my english isn't perfect!

Ano'

JohnClark

Re: Pedal power 2 plus effective power draw

Post by JohnClark » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Sounds like a fun exercise! What sort of class is this?

A fully loaded Pedal Power 2+ will consume less than 20 Watts from the Line Voltage (about 90mA @ 220V). An Idle Pedal Power 2+ will consume about 1 Watt.

If you want to find the actual draw at line voltage you would use Watts Law (P=IE or Watts = Amps x Volts) and do some calculations.

1. Add up the total current draw of the 9V Outputs and calculate the Wattage using Watts Law.

439.5mA (.4395A) x 9V = Wattage

2. Use the calculated Wattage above to find the Current at the Line Voltage using Watts Law.

Wattage / Line Voltage = Current

I hope that helps!