It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PP2+ and 4x4: Line 6 G50 and M9
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:31 am 

Hey guys!

I'm currently powering (or trying to power) a Line 6 G50 with my PP2+. I'm using the current doubler cable on outputs 5 and 6. Unfortunately, when I do this, it introduces interference in my signal path. It sounds like hum from a ground loop and it occurs even when the G50 is NOT in the signal path and only in the circuit via the PP2+. It creates a weird oscillating buzz in my Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe as well. When I unplug power from the G50, all noises go away. It doesn't even need to be in the signal path for it to create noise in the signal path. What could be causing this?

The Deja Vibe will sometimes make the oscillating hum when activated even with the G50 out of the equation completely. I'll change the cable and it goes away. I don't think the cables go bad, they don't ever move or anything. The cables work fine for other pedals.

On the same board, I have a 4x4. It is powering my Line 6 M9 just fine using a current doubler cable plugged into the two 12v 400mA outputs. The 4x4 seems to get a bit warm, is this ok? Not scorching, just warm.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: PP2+ and 4x4: Line 6 G50 and M9
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:02 am 

Which revision Mini Deja Vibe do you have... MDV-1, MDV-2, or MDV-3?

The 4x4 running an M9 should be fine how you have it. The chassis of the 4x4 is itself a heat sink for the high current regulators so some heat is perfectly normal. There is a fan inside the 4x4 that is temperature controlled in case you really draw a lot of current... but I'm guessing this isn't even triggering the fan yet unless you have everything else loaded to near capacity.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:56 am 

Thanks for your input!

The Mini Deja Vibe is the MDV1, it's a 9v version. Now that I think about it I'm not sure what the mA requirements are, I got it used and it didn't have a power supply.

Any ideas why the G50 could be inducing noise into the system just being powered by the PP2+ and not actually in the signal path? I'm using the green current doubler cable on outputs 5 and 6, all switches normal.

I made my own 9v cables for the first time, what kind of issues could I find if perhaps they're faulty? I assumed they would just fail to power anything, not necessarily induce noise.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:28 pm 

Sorry, I was just starting out with the MDV since it was an unknown here and depending on what model could have been the source of all these issues if it wasn't being powered correctly. That you sometimes get the same noise when powering this alone points to that being the best starting point to look at ;)

Ok so the original MDV-1, the 9V version, can draw a bit more current. I would suggest testing it out on output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal to see if that solves the intermittent issue when powering it by itself.

I have no idea why adding the G-50 with no audio connections would cause noise in the audio path... that is a bit of a mystery that we can chase after first solving the noise you get when using the MDV alone.

If that does fix the noise, then you can add the G-50 by using the Current Doubler Adapter (the one with the Green end) connected to output 5 or 6 and any other output with the corresponding DIP switches set to Normal.

Do you have any of the supplied cables to test this stuff with if you suspect your home made cables?
Do you have an ohm meter to test your home made cables? Checking for continuity from end to end is good, but you will also want to see if there is any reading between the Center and Sleeve connections to be sure there isn't a load across the cable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:46 pm 

Alright! I was finally able to dig into this issue. For some reason I never thought that the MDV1 might require a little more current. Whether using stock cables or my home made cables, everything worked perfectly with this setup, just as you suggested:

Line 6 G50: Current Doubler Cable into outputs 4 and 5 (so about 350mA I think?)
MDV-1: Output 6 (250mA?)

I don't know why simply giving power to the Line 6 G50 caused noises in the audio path even if it wasn't in the audio path, but it affected the MDV-1 a lot more than the others.

Everything is perfect now! Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:03 pm 

Yes using outputs 4 and 5 will yield 350ma available when using the Current Doubler.

For the noise, my guess would be that since the vibe was already right at its tipping point due to not having enough current, the added load to the supply when introducing the receiver affected the total available current just enough to push the vibe over the edge. :?
It would be one for the bench to be certain, but that it all works now leads me to believe that nothing has gone wrong here.

I hope that helps!