It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blown ISO-5
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:57 am 

If I plugged a center-positive pedal into the 18V jack of an ISO-5 using a center-negative plug, what components would likely have blown out? The whole ISO-5 doesn't work now. It's not obvious on visual inspection. I have some electronics experience, but I'm still learning.

Post subject: Re: Blown ISO-5
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:53 am 

Connecting a reversed polarity pedal to an output certainly shouldn't have killed the ISO-5... the pedal on the other hand, may not be so lucky. what was the pedal in question, and how long was it connected like this?

If the ISO-5 is in fact no longer powering up, please feel free to give us a call or write to info@voodoolab.com so we can arrange for an inspection/repair.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:13 am 

It was a Colorsound PowerBoost, modded to accept 18V DC power. Vintage reissue, center positive. Only plugged in briefly. Maybe a couple seconds. The pedal's fine, thankfully.

I've probably crossed the line on what you can repair. I cut open the wrapping on the transformer looking for problems, though I think all the wires are intact. I'm also not sure what's become of the housing. Still, all the functional components are there. If you're still willing to take a look at it, that would be terrific, but I'd completely understand if not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:24 am 

Well dang... Might wanna read up on NDT techniques ;)

Go ahead and contact us directly and we can see about getting at least the parts you do have in here for repair. We will inspect first and inform you of any non warranty charges we might apply before going ahead with the work. If the chassis is no likely to ever be located, we can salvage perhaps a b-stock one to sell you if you are interested.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:27 am 

That would be extraordinarily generous of you. Thank you. I'll try to get the email out to you later today.