It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie needs help with pedals and pedal power +2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:18 pm 

Hey guys I'm new to the pedal power +2 and pedals. I'm running a Sony wireless, tc poly tune, Friedman BE-OD, TC Flashback, TC hof mini, and a TC spark boost mini. I'm confused as to which outlets and settings to use on the pedal power. Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help with pedals and pedal power +2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:45 am 

What is the exact model of Sony wireless you are using?

The rest of your pedals can each be powered from any output on a Pedal Power 2+ with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:48 am 

JohnClark wrote:
What is the exact model of Sony wireless you are using?

The rest of your pedals can each be powered from any output on a Pedal Power 2+ with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal.

I hope that helps!

That does help a lot. Wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry a pedal. The wireless is a Sony DWZb30gb. I think it has a 12 volt plug for the adapter and also a 9volt plug. Thanks so much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:21 pm 

Always worth checking first!

Your Sony DWZ wireless can be powered from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal using one of the included all black barrel cables connected to it's 9V input jack.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:58 am 

JohnClark wrote:
Always worth checking first!

Your Sony DWZ wireless can be powered from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal using one of the included all black barrel cables connected to it's 9V input jack.

Good Luck!

One more question. I have a noise in my effects loop which you can hear in this video. I originally thought it was my power chain to the pedals causing the noise which is why I got the pedal power. It still has the noise and the amp make suggested I dont keep pedals on top of the voodoo box. Is that accurate? I would think its shielded since it's made to be mounted under the board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q6IH80-i04

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:26 am 

Interesting diagnosis since you apparently had the same noise before even having a Pedal Power... however it is possible that some pedals can react to being too close to a power supply so it is worth a shot to check. ;)
(The transformer in a Pedal Power is designed to have as small of a magnetic field as is practical. This field can sometimes induce noise into a signal path when a particularly sensitive pedal is placed directly on top... a wah pedal is a common example since they have a somewhat large inductor that is rarely shielded and can act as an antenna for unwanted noise.)

It should be easy enough to test this out, does the noise change when the pedals are moved away from the power supply?

Do you have anything connected to the Courtesy Outlet?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:16 pm 

JohnClark wrote:
Interesting diagnosis since you apparently had the same noise before even having a Pedal Power... however it is possible that some pedals can react to being too close to a power supply so it is worth a shot to check. ;)
(The transformer in a Pedal Power is designed to have as small of a magnetic field as is practical. This field can sometimes induce noise into a signal path when a particularly sensitive pedal is placed directly on top... a wah pedal is a common example since they have a somewhat large inductor that is rarely shielded and can act as an antenna for unwanted noise.)

It should be easy enough to test this out, does the noise change when the pedals are moved away from the power supply?

I will have to experiment. Haven't been able to test moving away from the power source yet. Nothing plugged into the outlet. It does seem like one of the noisier pedals is the tc hall of fame mini. The hiss I hear is worse when it's turned on and it is over the voodoo.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:43 pm 

So I was able to experiment a little. It seems a lot of the noise goes away when I move the tc triple delay and reverb pedal away. I wonder if there is a way I can use copper or something to shield in between them?

Jvstrat wrote:
JohnClark wrote:

I will have to experiment. Haven't been able to test moving away from the power source yet. Nothing plugged into the outlet. It does seem like one of the noisier pedals is the tc hall of fame mini. The hiss I hear is worse when it's turned on and it is over the voodoo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 am 

Triple Delay, not the regular "Flashback"? Before exploring shielding and the like... exactly which Pedal Power output(s) are you using for this? This one has a rather large current draw so it should be powered from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal.

Let us know what you can!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:10 pm 

Correct it's the triple delay. Can't remember which number power plug I used, but all my switches are set to normal.