It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noisy pedals
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:34 am 

Hi.

I recently added a PP2+ to my board after One Spot died. I have noticed that my Way Huge Swollen Pickle and Fulltone OCD are so much noisier than they were before PP2+.

The noise only occurs when pedals are activated. I'm running a few other effects and a Crybaby. All are quiet.

I've done some cable swaps and isolated the pedals and they are still noisy. Any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Noisy pedals
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:53 pm 

Try connecting only one of these pedals at a time in the audio path to be sure if it is not the pedal itself causing the noise. After that you can then try running the pedal on a battery to see if it is maybe just the nature of the pedal or some other interaction occurring.

Let us know what you find!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:08 am 

I isolated the pedals and there's still a bit of noise coming from one, the swollen pickle. the OCD noise seems to have lessened. that may because of the amp i'm using too. originally i had the PP2 to a 5w practice amp. when i went through the PA, the noise was less obvious.

i have noticed when i activate my crybaby and leave the pedal in any random position, it seems like it goes into stand-by mode or something. should that be in any particular power position? it was on the first channel with the lag at full. i moved it to a different power supply port and it seems to have resolved.

theres also some noise when the swollen pickle is on with the wah. i am wondering if there's an acceptable amout of "noise" i should expect.

whats the best pedal to use the "lag" channels, 1 and 2 i believe? I've read to use the overdrive and fuzz there. will that cause a "buz"?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:16 am 

So the noise is likely just the nature of having an overdrive active is what I think is going on here from your description. Just make sure to pick them strings when you activate your dirt pedals and all will be golden! ;)

For the other connections, I assume you are referring to the SAG outputs on 7 and 8. The SAG dials are only active if the corresponding DIP Switches for these two outputs are set to the Away from Normal position.
Transistor based circuits are best here and it should really just change the character of the effect.
The OCD is op-amp based so the SAG dials likely won't have a dramatic affect on its sound. However, the Swollen Pickle and probably your wah are in fact transistor based and will be affected by the SAG dials. Sagging the voltage on a wah is a trick that is probably as old as the wah pedel itself... rarely will it make the effect not work, and it really shouldn't be able to switch itself into bypass mode. Exactly which wah do you have?