It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powering Line 6 DL4 + EHX Microsynth + EHX DMM
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:21 am 

Hi, I just wanted to check that this would work before I make a purchase and potentially blow up my pedalboard..

I have a Line 6 DL4 which I believe works with 200mA at 12V, an old style EHX Microsynth that requires 100mA at 24V, and I'm looking to get a Deluxe Memory Man running at 100mA at 24V. In order to power this all with one power supply I was thinking I could use a Voodoo Lab 4x4 in the following way.

First put a splitting cable in one of the two 400mA 12V outputs. Use a voltage doubling cable to combine one of the split sides with the other 400mA 12V output. This will give me one connector at 12V, and another at 24V. I then use another splitting cable on the 24V connector to get two 24V outputs. In theory the two EHX pedals will draw less than 100mA each from the two 24V outputs, and the DL4 will draw less than 200mA from the 12V output. Hence one of the two original 12V outputs should be under 200mA, leaving 200mA to play with from the 9V out, and the other will still be under 400mA as needed. Will this work or will something awful happen?

Post subject: Re: Powering Line 6 DL4 + EHX Microsynth + EHX DMM
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:34 am 

Nothing awful would happen... it just wouldn't work ;)

The DL-4 does not require a 12V source. It will be perfectly happy with 9V as long as there is enough current.

You could use two 12V Outputs connected to a single Voltage Doubler Adapter then add an Output Splitter Adapter to power both of the 24V pedals.

Are there any other pedals besides these three that you will be powering? If just these three, then a Pedal Power Digital would work for you.

Alternatively, a Pedal Power 2+ with two Voltage Doubler Adapters would keep the two 24V pedals completely isolated using two pairs of the "ACA" Outputs and the DL-4 can be powered from either one of the two "L6" Outputs.

I hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:08 pm 

Hi JohnClark, thanks for the response. Sorry if I'm being dumb, but I'm a little confused. I thought the way people normally power DL-4's are using output 5 or 6 on a pp2+ with the switch away from normal. Isn't this 12V at the 200mA the DL-4 draws?

I do have other pedals as well, a whammy which needs a higher current, hence why pp2+ isn't enough because once I've used a current doubler, and two lots of voltage doublers, plus the line 6 theres only one output left, and I have a few other standard low current 9VDC pedals. I also want to keep the option of trying new things out so I would like a couple more outputs and a bit more current than I currently need.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:31 am 

Sure, the way it is "normally" done is with a Pedal Power 2+, but you were looking to use a 4x4 ;) The DL-4 will operate completely reliably from one of our 400mA 9V DC outputs.

On the Whammy... is it the version 5 model that accepts DC power? If so then it too can be powered directly from any of out 400mA 9V outputs. If it is an older version then it accepts AC power only and will have to be powered using its supplied adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:36 am 

Hi John, I have a question

you said:

Quote:
;) The DL-4 will operate completely reliably from one of our 400mA 9V DC outputs.

why is this??

isn't the DL-4 operates with 9V AC at 1200mA (that's the specification from the manual http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434d116e5507f3590c7eed/application/pdf/DL4%20Quick%20Start%20Pilot%E2%80%99s%20Handbook%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20B%20).pdf )??

why would it work with DC on 400mA?

is there any risk of damaging the device?? I read somewhere that you cannot plug in DC into an AC

Best Regards

Stefano

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 pm 

The Line 6 4-Button Modeler pedals were all capable of accepting AC or DC power. In fact when powering them from the 4 C batteries they are taking DC power ;)

No damage will come to your DL-4 by operating it from one of our power supplies. We have been powering these pedals since before they even hit the public!

Good Luck!