Echolution 2 Ultra Pro really working with PEDAL POWER 2 Plus?

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
DANILIUS

Echolution 2 Ultra Pro really working with PEDAL POWER 2 Plus?

Post by DANILIUS » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi everybody
I'm about to buy PEDAL POWER 2 Plus mainly to power an Echolution 2 Ultra Pro and an Eventide H9.
I've searched on the site and the web, and found many contraddictory infos.
Apparently the best options would be:
- Echolution (18v - 300mA) to output 1 and 2, with the VOLTAGE POWER CABLE (#PPAY) + standard barrel cable
- H9 (9v - 500mA) to output 5 and 6, with CURRENT DOUBLE ADAPTER (#PPAP) + REVERSE POLARITY CABLE (#PPL6).
But... output 1 and 2 are 9v and max current... 100mA. Resulting in 18v and 200mA, whereas the Echolution requires 300mA. Or so it is stated by Pigtronix in their manual (although, I've seen somewhere else 100mA)

Has anybody actually tried this?

I don't feel like spending all that money with no result.

Thanks in advance!

JohnClark

Re: Echolution 2 Ultra Pro really working with PEDAL POWER 2 Plus?

Post by JohnClark » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:47 am

I believe along the evolution of the Echolution there have been slight changes to the power section. Unless you've seen posts specifically mentioning the Echolution 2 Ultra Pro, you have to assume they could be talking about any of the other variations that had the Ecolution name (I see at least five variants of the Echolution pedals!). The online manual for the Echolution 2 Ultra Pro says 100mA, and it appears this is also printed on the pedal itself above the power jack.

The Echolution 2 Ultra Pro should be fine to power from any two Outputs on a Pedal Power 2+ with the corresponding DIP Switches set to Normal combined together using a Voltage Doubler Adapter.

However, if you have not yet purchased a power supply, I'd recommend the Pedal Power ISO-5. It has a dedicated 18V Output that will certainly power the Echolution 2 Ultra Pro and it has a High Current output that will also power the H9... no doubler cables needed.

I hope that helps!

DANILIUS

Post by DANILIUS » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Thank you very much for your helpful and swift answer.

The ISO-5 is a great suggestion, and it could really solve my need, however there would still be a couple more questions:

- H9: it needs 500 mA, whereas the ISO-5 outputs 400 mA. On Eventide website it is stated: "For a regulated 9VDC, the current requirement is 500mA AT POWER UP and 400mA in normal operation." Would that be a problem? Has anybody tried this with an H9?
- H9 connector is 2,5 mm and center positive, not negative. Would the red barrel cable solve the problem?

- I was thinking about using a Musicomlab EFX LITE 62M (12 VDC - 180mA), but I understand 9v and 12v outputs are not isolated and share the 400 mA current. Therefore H9 and EFX are a no no. Can you confirm this?

Thanks again in advance

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:41 pm

The H9 has been well tested and absolutely works from the 400mA outputs on the ISO-5, Digital, 4x4, and Mondo. It can also be powered from any output on the new Pedal Power X4. The Red ended cable is the one to use with the H9.

I would not share anything on the same output section as an H9.

We now know of three things you are powering... an Echolution 2 Ultra Pro, an H9 and possibly the EFX LITE 62M... A Pedal Power Digital with a Voltage Doubler would work, but are there any more things to power? ;)

DANILIUS

Post by DANILIUS » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Ahahah, I can see where you are coming from, sorry but the EFX was just an afterthought :)
There are 2 extra 9v pedals (around 25-50 mA) but those are powered by an Eneloop. That's it, I promise ;)

Thank you for your help

DANILIUS

Post by DANILIUS » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:54 pm

Sorry, I might be wrong but I've just noticed something not quite clear in your answer.
Using the Voodoo Lab DIGITAL version:
- H9 in output with 9v + red cable 2,5mm
- EFX in output 12V
- Echolution in 2 - 9v outputs using a VOLTAGE DOUBLING CABLE (Pt# PPY ???) and NOT a CURRENT DOUBLER.
Am I right? Could you please confirm the part number as well?

Thank you.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:48 pm

What do you mean... I didn't make a mistake in my post ;) (ok ok yes I did, but I fixed it now and nobody can tell, shhh :oops: )

The Echolution 2 Ultra Pro will use a Voltage Doubler cable connected to any two 9V Outputs on a Pedal Power Digital. This will give 18V with a capacity for up to 400mA. You can use either the Voltage Doubler Adapter (Part# PPAY) together with one of the included standard all black barrel cables or the 2.1mm Voltage Doubling Cable (Part# PPY) found here Voodoo Lab Cable Store.

I hope that helps!

DANILIUS

Post by DANILIUS » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:03 am

Hats-off to you for admitting an oversight :lol: Anyway mistakes can happen, we are only human, especially if you've got to deal with potential clients like me, asking lots of different questions ;)
And I thought a precise answer might help someone else in the future in a similar situation.

Thank you for confirming the part numbers. I'm ok now, and right off to buy a VL Digital.

Have a great day!