It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mounting the PP2+
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:13 pm 

I've built quite a few pedal boards, for myself and other musicians, over the last few years. Most of them use at least one Pedal Power power supply, simply because they deliver adequate power, without noise, to the greatest variety of devices. These days, I've pretty much standardized on the Pedal Power 2 Plus as my first choice for any board with more than a couple devices.

But I sure do get frustrated by the layout of the PP2+ connectors. If I had to suggest one improvement to the PP2+, it would be this: get rid of the "courtesy" AC jack and move the IEC AC connector to one of the short sides. This would provide many more options for mounting the unit underneath pedal boards in a "one cord powers everything" configuration. Real estate under there is hard to come by, especially fore and aft. Even with an IEC L-connector (not an option with some boards like the Pedaltrains), it's tough to cram a PP2+, a couple wall warts, and a power tap or Y-pigtail into the available space.

I'd guess that moving the IEC connector would require changes to the circuit layout and the case, and it would certainly "break" the unholy synergy with the mounting brackets supplied by Pedaltrain and other board manufacturers. Then again, I see that as a good thing. PP2+ : good. PP2+ and Pedaltrain 2/Pro: pain in the neck.

I'd be curious to hear if other folks have found ways to work with, or around, the connector layout of the PP2+.