It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedal Power & Java Boost
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:54 pm 

Hello,

It's commonly known how problematic germanium boosters are if externally powered. Keeley's Java Boost is such a beautiful sounding thing as the worst noisemaker I've heard if not battery powered.
I'd like to know if anyone had a better experience with it and a VL power unit or if it cant work decently, like with all other common power adaptors.

Thx. :)

Post subject: Re: Pedal Power & Java Boost
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

We don't have problems with any germanium based pedals. Boost and enjoy!

Regards,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:37 am 

Josh Fiden wrote:
We don't have problems with any germanium based pedals. Boost and enjoy!

Regards,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

thanks Josh....so you would exclude there is a noise increase specifically with the Java Boost if operated with a PP in comparison with internal battery? That would be great news.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:58 am 
Site Admin

alfonso wrote:
thanks Josh....so you would exclude there is a noise increase specifically with the Java Boost if operated with a PP in comparison with internal battery? That would be great news.

There are people powering the Java Boost with a Pedal Power 2+ and they do not report any problems. I have not tried it myself. If you're the kind of "player" that sits in your dead quiet bedroom with the guitar volume off, and a high gain amp on 10 listening to hiss, you may hear all kind of things that no one else does. Now stop worrying about it, plug it in and go play your guitar.

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:44 am 

Josh Fiden wrote:
alfonso wrote:

There are people powering the Java Boost with a Pedal Power 2+ and they do not report any problems. I have not tried it myself. If you're the kind of "player" that sits in your dead quiet bedroom with the guitar volume off, and a high gain amp on 10 listening to hiss, you may hear all kind of things that no one else does. Now stop worrying about it, plug it in and go play your guitar.

Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

Amen brutha! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:58 pm 

Josh Fiden wrote:
If you're the kind of "player" that sits in your dead quiet bedroom with the guitar volume off, and a high gain amp on 10 listening to hiss, you may hear all kind of things that no one else does.
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

Not really, but I work a lot with guitar volume to clean up saturation with my strat, and with a common standard adapter by Roland if a noticeable hiss appears in an otherwise (battery powered) very silent pedal when the strat volume pot is dimed, it progressively increases going down and when I reach 4, which is the point where for my settings on a 5e3 or a TSL 100 or a modded HRD the amp cleans up almost completely, a mayhem of noise almost explodes....this happens only with the java boost...the xotic rc booster is totally immune, with the same Roland adapter.
I'm very much after dynamic playing and guitar volume control, which obviously, without being the surrealistic situation that your not that British humor depicted above, particularly suffers of eventual noise issues. Until now, using just a battery in the java booster my tone is particularly free of issues while I never managed to have an acceptable result otherwise.

I'm not using much other stuff, the Eventide delay runs on its own adapter, the modded cry baby is perfectly fine with a roland adapter as well as the rc booster. The only reason for me to get a more expensive high quality supply is to get rid of the hiss in the java boost without the hassle of battery replacements. It might be technically interesting to know that plugging a barrel plug with a 9v battery attached in Java's external supply connector, a quick replacement solution i found for live situations, doesn't introduce any hiss, so the real difference, like Robert Keeley himself suggests in his site, is probably related to the different impedance seen by the circuit in the case of a battery or an adapter. I'm not able to question on this, but Keeley should know what he's talking about....

This is the reason of my post. I just wanted to read some direct experience with the java boost if anyone could have it. The fact that the Voodoo lab products are at a very good quality level is well known and that's the reason i'm asking it here. But the problem is probably in the java boost itself, I just need to know if that particular alchemy happens or not.

Thx.
Alf.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:17 am 
Site Admin

I was talking to Dave Friedman (Rack Systems) last night and he mentioned that he has run the Java Boost with a Pedal Power 2+ and it worked fine. The only way you are going to find out if it is acceptable to you in your application is to try it.

Thanks!
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:46 pm 

I finally got the PP2+ and i must say that i'm quite satisfied.

The Java Boost issue is not totally solved but it is minimized enough. Especially if the pedal tone and level settings are not dimed but between 12 and 1 o'clock which is what i like normally together with the full boost setting, the result is very acceptable now. Also the guitar volume level which produced a noise boost at 4 (strat guitar with single coils) now starts it at 3, which is good as with my settings it cleans up completely at 4-5.

What of the java boost still puzzles me is how it has a hiss noise increase (in any case with a power supply, much less with PP2+ but still...) also when you close a tone...always starting at 3. This is a bit more annoying since one setting that i love with the Java boost on is middle and bridge with the middle tone all down, it makes a woman tone hard to beat.

Anyway, it is a much better situation now, I'am very happy of the purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:22 pm 

Are you sure the problem doesn't inly with the Java Boost itself? Have you tried another Java Boost and replicated the same issue. All the best.

http://www.john-trueman.com : Guitarist from Down Under
http://www.guitarpedals.co.nz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:02 pm 

Trueman wrote:
Are you sure the problem doesn't inly with the Java Boost itself? Have you tried another Java Boost and replicated the same issue. All the best.

Just for general info: Robert Keeley himself says that there is no external power supply that can give a quiet operation with the Java Boost like when it is battery operated, that is part of the design of that pedal. Asking what they (Keeley's support) thought of the PP2+ in order to minimize the issues they told me it was highly recommended.

Personally, using single coils I find the use with PP2+ extremely better if compared with less qualitative solutions, completely acceptable within a certain range of operation regarding the volume and tone controls on the guitar. It might sound odd, but maybe it is worth investigating at least to understand better the nature of the issue.

It's quite amazing to listen to the hiss increasing abruptly when the guitar volume or the tone pots go below 4 (more or less)...what does this mean?
Is there a sort of relation with system resistance/capacitance in which also the power supply is part of the equation?

I tried also the sag outs to see what happens with lower voltages. It seems to me that lowering the supply voltage has a small but real effect in pushing the pot value hiss threshold a little more down, but also the pedal sound changes a bit, can't say if it's better or worst, just different.

The cool thing is that if I use a battery and plug it in the external power plug the pedal works exactly like with internal battery, becoming one of the less noisy boosters I've ever heard.

I think I can well live with it...I have a couple of really good sounding amps as my main ones, a Ceriatone 5e3 and a Suhr Badger 18 and I recently purchased a Pedal Switcher that i can control with my old GC, until now just changing the Eventide Timefactor presets.
I only use the Java Boost to push my full volume sound to very high gain territories to help me keep a certain headroom in the basic amp settings and I must say that in this situation the PP2+ does an excellent job, unrivaled as it seems .....