VOODOO LAB PEDAL POWER 2 PROBLEM WIT ELECTRO HARMONIX PEDALS

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
givinator

VOODOO LAB PEDAL POWER 2 PROBLEM WIT ELECTRO HARMONIX PEDALS

Post by givinator » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi,

I have a problem with my Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi and a Small Stone Nano.
When I plug them into the individual isolated VL Pedal Power 2 Plus outputs they don’t work.
Little Big Muff lights up and then slowly fades and the Small Stone doesn’t even light up.
I found a temporary solution by daisy chaining them with my Boss DS-2 (daisy chain plugged into the Pedal Power output) and they miraculously work. I want them to be powered separately though to avoid unnecessary hum. All my other pedals work.

JohnClark

Re: VOODOO LAB PEDAL POWER 2 PROBLEM WIT ELECTRO HARMONIX PE

Post by JohnClark » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:55 pm

Either of these pedals should be able to be powered from any output set to the Normal position. the likely culprit is faulty cables given that with a different cable, these pedals power up correctly. Are you using the cables that came with the Pedal Power 2+? Did you buy this Pedal Power 2+ new from a Voodoo Lab dealer?
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

givinator

Post by givinator » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:39 am

Yes, it's a brand new VL Pedal Power 2+ and I'm using packaged cables. I tried all of the compatible ones on those two pedals. The cables work with other pedals though...

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:30 am

As a test, try connecting only one pedal with only the guitar and the amp connected. Set all the DIP switches to the Normal position on the bottom of the Pedal Power 2+ and power the pedal using the standard barrel cable that is black on both ends from any output. Let us know what you find.
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

givinator

Post by givinator » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:48 am

Tried it and still not working... Oh and I should note that I live in Europe, where the current runs on 230V. The Pedal Power has a sticker on it that says it's input is 230V so it should be alright, but maybe the US made Electro Harmonix pedals have problem with that. But again, daisy chained to the DS-2 pedal they work.

breun

Post by breun » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:53 am

Did you ever solve this mystery? I'm currently having what seems to be the same issue. I have an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone nano that I works fine if I daisy-chain it from my Boss TU-3 (powered by the PP2+), but it doesn't work (power led doesn't turn on) when I take out the Boss TU-3 and plug the Small Stone nano directly into the PP2+.

givinator

Post by givinator » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:53 am

breun wrote:Did you ever solve this mystery? I'm currently having what seems to be the same issue. I have an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone nano that I works fine if I daisy-chain it from my Boss TU-3 (powered by the PP2+), but it doesn't work (power led doesn't turn on) when I take out the Boss TU-3 and plug the Small Stone nano directly into the PP2+.
Nope. Never solved it. I'm powering it throughout the tuner as well...

memyselfandi

Re: VOODOO LAB PEDAL POWER 2 PROBLEM WIT ELECTRO HARMONIX PEDALS

Post by memyselfandi » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:00 pm

To whoever comes across problems with Pedal Power 2 Plus and EHX Small Stone Nano compabilities:

I had the same issue as described above. I ended up powering up the Small Stone using the extra power output from my Boss Line Selector. I was really frustrated and confused why it will work that way but not by powering directly from the Pedal Power (the Boss Line Selector and many other worked with no issues)

Turns out that the Small Stone Nano only draws 12mA. Not really sure is there is a "Minimum Current Draw" that is needed in order to get the power out of one of the Pedal Power outlets. I found curious that the Line Selector current draw is 25 mA, plus the 12 mA needed by the Small Stone made it work, but not the 12 mA draw by itself.

I made a little experiment using a daisy chain connected to one of the 100 mA pedal power outlets (1 to 4). I daisy chained the small stone along with another pedal that in combination wouldn't draw more than 100 mA. And the Small Stone worked that way! Interesting enough, if I disconnect the extra pedal on the daisy chain, the Small Stone wouln't power up either. So both need to be connected. Really curious if there is a Minimum Current draw needed in order to make the Pedal Power outlets to work correctly.

So you can look at it as not having to waste an output solely for the small stone, and you can actually power up an extra pedal if you have a daisy chain. Hope this helps.

Rez

Re: VOODOO LAB PEDAL POWER 2 PROBLEM WIT ELECTRO HARMONIX PEDALS

Post by Rez » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:46 pm

The outputs on a Pedal Power supply do not have any such "minimum current threshold".

The issue likely has to do with the Small Stone Nano pedal's ground connection (or lack thereof). More specifically, when being powered from its own isolated output, it may not be establishing a connection to ground. But, when daisy-chained together with another pedal, it is able to establish a connection to ground (via the guitar cable's shared audio ground connection with the other pedal) and thus it works.

Similarly... that's why when it's the only pedal on the daisy-chain, it also does not work. If this is the case then the root cause is the Small Stone Nano (perhaps, the ground connection of its power jack) and not the power supply.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support