Need advice for excess noise

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
burlington1983

Need advice for excess noise

Post by burlington1983 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:47 am

hi there, any help/ advice is appreciated. I've been having issues with my pedals for quite some time. feel like i've tried everything at this point other than to just completely start over. Here is my current set up....guitar -> Vox V845 Classic Wah Wah -> Ibanez TS808 Vintage Tube Screamer Reissue -> Electro-Harmonix XO Micro Q-Tron Envelope Filter -> TC Electronic Spark Mini Booster -> Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor -> Boss RC-3 Loop Station(uses its own Power supply- Wall Wart) -> output (amp or sometimes right into computer via Behringer UMC 202 Audio Interface) . I purchased the Pedal Power 2 Plus based on recommendations that cleaning up my power source should lead to getting rid of the noises.All pedals except the Loop Station are powered using the PP2+. When i have everything connected, even with no pedals engaged i get a high pitched hiss-like noise. when i engage the pedals i can hear the guitar and the effect i have enabled but the hiss is almost as loud as the sound of the guitar. I looked up most of the pedals and their manuals say they take 9VDC so that all seemed fine. I wonder if the order i have them in is a problem, if the pedals i have being chained together are the problem, i am truly lost. Using D'addario patch cables, high end guitar cables, also have an a/b pedal around too if anyone thinks that may help us Thanks for reading. any help or advice is greatly appreciated and i can post pictures or videos of the chain itself once i am home later on today if that would help . THANK YOU A MILLION AND STAY SAFE !!!!

Rez

Re: Need advice for excess noise

Post by Rez » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:31 pm

Have you tested the pedals one-at-a-time, setup: Guitar > effect pedal > amp (no additional gear connected and using the same power supply power output and cable as used in your "real" setup), to see if it is one specific device creating the trouble?

Is each one noisy individually?

Also, while testing the pedals one-at-a-time, try physically lifting each away from the pedalboard. Does movement as such affect the noise (if any) that you hear?

Be sure to make note of your results for each pedal as this will inform what strategy might best resolve the trouble.

And, please keep me posted as to your results, thanks.
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

PepperKitty

Re: Need advice for excess noise

Post by PepperKitty » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:21 am

Definitely check each pedal individually, also if ya have a cable tester, check all the them as well. Even high ends cable can go bad.