Incorrect current plugged into a 2+

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
danm

Incorrect current plugged into a 2+

Post by danm » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:46 pm

I recently purchased a Walrus Audio Luminary v2, which has a minimum 300 mA requirement. However, it was also pretty recently that I started using my 2+ again and I forgot about the current difference (I've already ordered the current doubler). The Luminary was plugged into the normal 100 mA outlet for about 48 hours and the pedal was used for maybe a total of 5 hours, until I noticed the Luminary was a bit warm, so I immediately unplugged and... well, now I'm just wondering, what are the chances that I damaged either the pedal or the 2+?

I haven't heard anything odd out of any of my other pedals now that the Luminary's out of the chain; just waiting on the current doubler to try it again.

What kind of indications would there be if there was any damage to either the pedal or power supply?

Rez

Re: Incorrect current plugged into a 2+

Post by Rez » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:32 am

As long as you were using the correct voltage and polarity and it was simply that the Walrus Audio Luminary V2 was not receiving enough current, that would not normally cause any damage. And, since the pedal and power supply seem to be still working, most certainly... no damage was caused.

That said, the Walrus Audio Luminary V2 manual states 250mA is sufficient. Thus, the current doubler adapter may not be needed. It may power great specifically from output 5 or 6, DIP switch in the 9V (normal) setting with one of the all black, standard polarity cables.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

danm

Post by danm » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:29 pm

Rez wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:32 am
As long as you were using the correct voltage and polarity and it was simply that the Walrus Audio Luminary V2 was not receiving enough current, that would not normally cause any damage. And, since the pedal and power supply seem to be still working, most certainly... no damage was caused.

That said, the Walrus Audio Luminary V2 manual states 250mA is sufficient. Thus, the current doubler adapter may not be needed. It may power great specifically from output 5 or 6, DIP switch in the 9V (normal) setting with one of the all black, standard polarity cables.

Cheers!
Thanks! That's quite a relief to hear.

If you wouldn't mind, I've another concern... As I said in the op, I only recently started using again my 2+, and although I've been using effects for years, it's not something for which I ever received formal education...

After plugging in the Luminary again (this time into a 250 mA outlet, which for some reason isn't the current listed on Walrus Audio's website...), its LEDs flashed on and off, and, after a concerned google search, this I gather had to do with the circuit being live. I read in one of the search results that this can cause shorts, cut down the life of the units, and that the power supply should always be off before plugging in a pedal. Again, I haven't noticed anything odd-sounding, and I apologize if this is Effects 101 material, but what indications would there be of damage resulting from plugging into a live circuit?

Thank you again in advance :?

Rez

Post by Rez » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:27 pm

If the pedal is working properly powered from 5 or 6 as discussed, there should be no need for concern.

And, you can power pedals on/off as desired. Typically, that means leaving all your pedals connected to the power supply and simply plugging-in/unplugging the power supply itself but it's also fine to plug-in/unplug pedals with the power supply already turned on (ie. plugged-in).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support