Is there a pedal limit?

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
Famudeedo

Is there a pedal limit?

Post by Famudeedo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:27 am

Using daisy chain, as long as I keep under the current draw limit (mA) for each power output channel, is there otherwise a limit to the number of pedals I can power with one Pedal Power 2 Plus power supply?

I have 15 pedals that I want to use with my PP2+ and most them are low draw. I did the math and I can configure it to keep every output below max draw rating. Is there any other issue I need to worry about?

Rez

Re: Is there a pedal limit?

Post by Rez » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:41 am

You could daisy chain as you suggest (and yes current will be limited per output by capacity), but...

I recommend you avoid traditional daisy chaining if possible as this is a common way that unwanted noise is often introduced into the guitar/audio signal (via ground loops). Perhaps instead, consider using our Output Splitter Adapter, part# PPAV.

Our output splitter adapter is a 6 inch Y cable that connects with 1 Pedal Power DC output jack converting it into 2 output jacks (each at the same voltage as the output the splitter itself is connected to). This allows the connection of 2 cables to power 2 effects/pedals from this single DC output.

For its sufficient use, the current (mA) capacity of the output from which the splitter is connected needs to meet or exceed the combined current (mA) requirements of the two pedals it is to power.

Additionally, one lead of output splitter adapter has its ground lifted to prevent the ground loop hum/buzz typically caused by daisy chaining.

And... you'll need enough DC power cables to attach your pedals to the additional splitter outputs. If necessary you can purchase additional power cables and adapters here: Power Cables and Adapters

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

Famudeedo

Post by Famudeedo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply.

So let’s say I use the splitter you mentioned in output 1. That output has a max current consumption of 100 mA. So the 2 pedals I hook the splitter to cannot combine to exceed 100 or 200?mA

Rez

Post by Rez » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:26 pm

If a 100mA output is being split... the two pedals powered from the splitter would need to have a combined current draw of 100mA or less (for ex. 15mA and 70mA, total: 85mA, etc.).

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support