Which power supply should I get?

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
Greg

Which power supply should I get?

Post by Greg » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:23 am

Greetings,

I’m building a pedal board that will have the following:

1) MXR M234 analog chorus
2) MXR M228 Dyna Comp Deluxe Compressor Pedal
3) MXR M101 Phase 90 Phaser Pedal
4) Roctron Banshee 2 talk box
5) A wireless system. Probably a Shure glxd16 or similar.
6) EHX Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT
7) TC Hall of Fame 2 reverb

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

JohnClark

Re: Which power supply should I get?

Post by JohnClark » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 am

Hello and welcome to the forum!

A Pedal Power 2+ would work well for this setup.

The MXR M234, M228, and M101 as well as the TC HOF 2 can each be powered from any output on a Pedal Power 2+ with the corresponding DIP switches set to Normal.

The Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT needs more current than the others and can be powered from output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set to Normal.

I can't say for sure what another wireless may need but the receiver for the Shure GLXD16 system can be powered from Output 5 or 6 with the corresponding DIP switch set away from Normal.

The Rocktron Banshee 2 requires AC power and cannot be powered from the front panel DC outputs, but it can be powered using its supplied power adapter connected to the Courtesy Outlet on the back of the Pedal Power 2+.

I hope that helps!
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Greg

Post by Greg » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Now that I’m putting my board together I have another question.

You suggested to power the Shure wireless using output 5 or 6 with the DIP switched away from normal (i.e., ON). Since the Shure is 9v/250mA, shouldn’t the DIP switch be left in the default, normal (i.e., 9v) position?

Thanks again in advance.

JohnClark

Post by JohnClark » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:53 am

The Receiver in the GLXD16 system will accept 9-15V DC. It will actually be fine to power with the DIP Switch in either position, but there is a potential headroom increase at a higher Voltage, so I just defaulted to setting that way. Sorry to not explain that choice in the first go around! :oops:
------------------====Cheers!====------------------
---------==Voodoo Lab Magician & Tech==---------

Greg

Post by Greg » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:05 pm

Thank you.

weslucko

Post by weslucko » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and instead of starting a new thread with the same exact question... I figured I would just tag onto this one.

I personally have never used a ton of pedals, but my tastes are increasingly growing and I am unsure in this territory as I've never needed a power supply before.

Here are my pedals:

1st pedal Colorsound Power Boost - From England. Takes two 9volt batteries only. I am hoping the battery snap cables (http://www.voodoolab.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22_24_40) would work for this pedal. Plug two battery snap cables to the two separate battery connections in the Power Boost and I'm good. Right?

2nd pedal is the Hollerin' Fingers "LZ'73" - https://reverb.com/item/17573787-holler ... d-zeppelin < this link probably provides the most information on this pedal. It is essentially an echoplex pre amp, echoplex style delay, and a plexi marshal circuit. This according to the guy who builds them himself can run on a 9v power supply cable or a 12v power supply cable to provide "more headroom" in his own words. I've never tried using a 12v supply cable, but I think i would like to try.

3rd pedal BMF Wah Wah - Scott from BMF is sending a wah my way as we speak. I have yet to incorporate this into my chain. Taken straight from the website: "The BMF Wah can be powered by either a 9v battery or with a negative tip 9v power supply such as the Boss PSA-120 or the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus"

4th pedal MXR Phase 90 (i have yet to get this pedal, i can't decide between the CSP026 or the CSP101SL. I have no idea which one will sound more Jimmy Page esque which is the tone I am trying to capture at this particular moment.) - Depending on which model I get, or which you would suggest, I would either need a 9 volt power supply cable, or another battery snap cable like the colorsound.

I am unsure if there will be more pedals in the future. EHX Synth9 caught my ear a few weeks ago, but it's not something I necessarily want/need at this moment. For a long time I also used an old TS808 tube screamer, though I am moving away from that pedal as of this moment. I would like to get a pedal board and a power supply where I can have the first 4 pedals I mentioned situated while still having room for maybe 2 more pedals if I stumble across something in the future. My main focus is to get rid of batteries entirely, leave everything plugged in all the time and just have to flip a switch to turn on my rig.

Not sure if this helps or not, but I do not have an FX loop on my amp. It is a 50 watt late 60's plexi voiced KT88 head unit running through a 1960AHW marshall cab. Main influences would be SRV, Clapton, Page.

Let me know if you can help me out. I am in over my head with all of these different aspects of electricity, and tone sucking avenues. I try to focus on just playing (i'm not even good at that aspect) instead of the technician side of things.

Wes

Rez

Post by Rez » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:52 pm

I recommend Pedal Power 4 x 4 (or if you also want room-to-expand in the future, maybe consider Pedal Power MONDO).

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support