Voltage/Doubler Cables for Strymon Big Sky

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
jacla

Voltage/Doubler Cables for Strymon Big Sky

Post by jacla » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:10 am

Hey,

I recently got a Voodoo Lab Power Power 2 Plus and wanted to power up my Strymon Big Sky.

I used a Voltage Doubler cable in outputs 6/7 to no avail (the BS is still working fine via its own power supply). I now believe I should be using a Current Doubler instead and just wanted some reassurance this is correct?

My line of thought is that the combination of outputs would provide the below;

6 = 9v / 250mA
7 = 9v / 100 mA

Total - 9v / 350mA

I assumed with the Big Sky needing 9v and 300mA this would suffice (https://www.strymon.net/faq/power-requirements-bigsky/). But I believe the actual result using the Voltage Doubler was 18v - 350mA, this being way over the voltage needed.

So to conclude, i'd like to know that a Current Doubler cable should be used here instead and that any combination of outputs are fine to use i.e not limited to 1>4, 5 & 6 or 7 & 8 etc

Hope this was clear, thanks for your time!

Rez

Re: Voltage/Doubler Cables for Strymon Big Sky

Post by Rez » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Indeed, a Current Doubler Adapter, part# PPAP is required (NOT a voltage doubler... that would likely damage the Big Sky).

To power the Strymon Big Sky use a Current Doubler Adapter in Pedal Power 2 Plus outputs 4 and 5 (or 6 and 7), DIP switches set normal and one of the all black (standard polarity) cables supplied.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

jacla

Post by jacla » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 am

Hey Rez,

Thanks so much for the assurance here. Much appreciated!

Rez

Post by Rez » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 am

;)
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support