Daisy Chain Cabels and Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
all_prez_men

Daisy Chain Cabels and Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2

Post by all_prez_men » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:49 am

I searched first the Voodoo Labs forum and couldn't find anything about this. So please forgive if this question was asked before.

I have some older daisy chain cables from Boss and Ibanez and was wondering if it was compatible with Voodoob Labs Pedal Power 2 or if it is recommend to use something like this.

thanks

Rez

Re: Daisy Chain Cabels and Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2

Post by Rez » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:58 pm

You can daisy chain as you describe. However, I recommend you avoid daisy chaining whenever possible as this is a common way that unwanted noise is introduced into your signal (via ground loops). Instead you might consider using our Output Splitter Adapter, part# PPAV.

Our output splitter adapter is a 6 inch Y cable that connects with 1 Pedal Power DC output jack converting it into 2 output jacks (each at the same voltage as the output the splitter itself is connected to). This allows the connection of 2 cables to power 2 effects/pedals from this single DC output.

Additionally, one lead of output splitter adapter has its ground lifted to prevent the ground loop hum/buzz typically caused by daisy chaining.

And, just a reminder... with more outputs, you might need additional cables too..

You can purchase additional power cables and adapters here: Power Cables and Adapters

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

all_prez_men

Post by all_prez_men » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:41 pm

For the Output Splitter Adapter, part # PPAV,what is the average length? From the website it shows 4 inch/10 cm, however when I measure one of the standard 9v cable that I have I measure around 1 ft 7 inches. So I'm not sure what the length is.

If I need one longer, can I have it custom made?

Also since I have the Pedal Power 2, if I were to use these Output Splitter Adapter, would I have to set the dip switches on the bottom to "on?"

thanks

Rez

Post by Rez » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:20 am

The Output Splitter, part# PPAV is merely an adapter (used together with the cables) which plugs into an individual 9V output converting it into two 9V outputs... secondary cables for connecting from the outputs of the adapter are still required in order to connect the effect pedals.

And, using an output splitter does NOT require changing the DIP switch setting (ie. if the pedals on the splitter require 9V, the DIP switches should be in the 9V setting).

Here are the specifications for Pedal Power 2 (not 2 Plus) outputs:

All outputs, DIP switches NORMAL are 9VDC and 100mA current capacity.

Outputs 1-4, DIP switches away from NORMAL are 12VDC @ 80mA max current.

Outputs 5 and 6, DIP switches away from NORMAL are unregulated power, 12-14.5VDC and 250mA current capacity.

For outputs 7 and 8, setting the DIP switch set away from normal engages the SAG dial, which allows you to simulate a dying battery by dialing the voltage down from 9 (fully clockwise) to about 4.5 volts (fully counterclockwise).

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support