Power Requirments for Empress Reverb

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
all_prez_men

Power Requirments for Empress Reverb

Post by all_prez_men » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:46 am

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrical engineer, just someone into guitar peals, however I'm willing to learn.

I have an older Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 and I want to power a Empress Reverb with it.

I'm can't really understand the power requirements that come with the manual, it takes up a whole page.

Can Pedal Power 2 power a Empress Reverb? And if so, do I need a special setup in order to power it?

thanks

Rez

Re: Power Requirments for Empress Reverb

Post by Rez » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:56 pm

To power the Empress Reverb with the older Pedal Power 2 (not 2 Plus) use a Current Doubler Adapter, part# PPAP outputs 5 and 6, DIP switches set away from normal and one of the all black (standard polarity) cables supplied.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

all_prez_men

Post by all_prez_men » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Excellent, thanks for the info.

If it helps, on the pedal itself, near the ac jack, it says "9v DC" with some symbols and "300mA or greater."

thanks

Rez

Post by Rez » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:59 pm

Hmm... I was under the impression that 9-12VDC was acceptable. Perhaps, I am mistaken. To err on the side of caution, maybe power it instead from the AC courtesy outlet with its adapter/wall-wart.

I will attempt to confirm with Empress regarding the use of 12VDC and post here the determination.

Also/FYI, this is not a problem with Pedal Power 2 Plus, as (unlike with Pedal Power 2) with the Pedal Power 2 Plus outputs 5 and 6 are high current capacity in the 9V setting too.
Cheers,
Ben Resnick

Rez

Post by Rez » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:34 pm

I've confirmed, it is fine to power with Pedal Power 2 as suggested:

To power the Empress Reverb with the older Pedal Power 2 (not 2 Plus) use a Current Doubler Adapter, part# PPAP outputs 5 and 6, DIP switches set away from normal and one of the all black (standard polarity) cables supplied.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick