Boss DD3 Distorting with External Power Supply

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
Klaus Trofobic

Boss DD3 Distorting with External Power Supply

Post by Klaus Trofobic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:38 pm

Hello all,
I hooked up my DD3 to the high current output of the PP2 plus I just purchased because it eats batteries. It sounds like the delayed signal has a lot of distortion. I pull out the power adapter plug to switch to the battery and the distortion goes away. Then I plug in a wall wart I have used before with the DD3 and notice the same distortion. I did notice that when battery powered, the LED was dimmer. Then, I wonder, what exactly is the battery voltage while the effect is engaged. It measured 7.5V. So it occurs to me that the distortion might be voltage related. I set one of the sag outputs to 7.5V and plug the DD3 into that sag output. The distortion is gone. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? The distortion only appears to be in the wet signal. I now have a theory as to why the DD3 has been eating batteries but I digress.

Rez

Re: Boss DD3 Distorting with External Power Supply

Post by Rez » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Is this an older DD-3 (say... pre-1996)?

Because, older (pre - 1996) Boss pedals used a different power supply (ACA type) from newer Boss pedals (PSA type). Usually, when an older ACA Boss pedal is powered at 9VDC (from the external power jack) its LED appears dim. Thus, these older ACA Boss pedals should instead be powered with 12VDC (from the external power jack), as follows:

Use any of Pedal Power 2 Plus outputs 1-4, DIP switch set AWAY from normal with one of the all black (standard polarity) cables supplied.

Any better?
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support