VL power supply off Mondo courtesy + switcher ground loop

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
valepark

VL power supply off Mondo courtesy + switcher ground loop

Post by valepark » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi

Thinking of putting a second (but small, only 4 outlet) VL power system under my board and powering it off the courtesy outlet off my mondo. Is this possible without noise problems? What adapter is recommended? UK based.

Also thinking of getting a switching system to help out with switching between different 'groups' of pedals I have, alternating between for example regular loud OD and then into a quieter crunch with stuff like a phaser and an octaver simultaneously activated and the OD pedals off.

Some of my pedals are powered by a ground lifted splitter off a VL Mondo, i.e. the phaser and flanger only draw like 20ma so they're both fed by a ground lifted splitter off one 100ma output off the Mondo. To get the ground loop kill effect the pedals need to be in sequence connected by the patch cable. Would routing through a switching system bugger the ground loop reduction effect up? I use an ISP noise suppressor, with a compressor, OD pedals and a fuzz in the suppression chain. Would it mess with the noise suppressor ?

Much appreciated!

Rez

Re: VL power supply off Mondo courtesy + switcher ground loop

Post by Rez » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 am

It's perfectly fine to use the AC courtesy outlet as you suggest.

To connect with the export model AC courtesy outlet use a type C14 cable/adapter (with the appropriate other end type for your application).

These links may be helpful:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-cable-IEC ... B005FWRHNQ

www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-4-Way-Power-Str ... B0002AGFT8

Also, some loop switchers may interfere with proper operation of the Output Splitter Adapter, part# PPAV. But, not by adding noise. Instead, if there were to be an issue with using some loop switcher, it would be that the pedal on the splitter lead with the white stripe was shutting off whenever the other pedal on the splitter is bypassed.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick
Voodoo Lab - Tech Support

valepark

Post by valepark » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks for that.

Ah damn. This is a 20+ pedal board so it sounds like an even bigger second power supply would be required then to avoid a splitting issue. Not sure how I'd be able to cleanly fit that in under the board. :cry:

Rez

Post by Rez » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:17 am

If the pedals fit on top, I'd expect in general, the power would fit underneath.

Put the most of whatever power supplies underneath that you can fit and beyond that get as far as you can using Output Splitter Adapters, part# PPAV. It's a reasonable strategy and quite likley will work nicely.
Cheers,
Ben Resnick

valepark

Post by valepark » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:42 pm

I need a few high ma outputs and two 18v ones so thinking of buying a Strymon Zuma. Considered other VL products but the Zuma has the 18v option and it's also relatively small at 1.8 inches thick which is important in terms of mounting and hiding it away under the board given the Mondo already takes up a bit of room.

That unit says 'max 100w' on the case, there is no reference to wattage I can find in the manuals. Otherwise its standard UK spec at 100-240V AC 50/60Hz

Would it be ok/safe/not a problem for noise or insufficient juice to pedals, to connect a Zuma via that C14 adapter to my Mondo and use all 9 500ma outputs on the Zuma? (two outputs at 18v reduce to 250ma) Considering all outputs on the Mondo would be in use simultaneously

The C14 adapter wouldn't cause any noise issues? It looks a bit suspect in that way :D

Cheers.

valepark

Post by valepark » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:22 am

Bump :)

Rez

Post by Rez » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Yes, it's fine to use the AC courtesy outlet as you suggest.

Perhaps Pedal Power ISO-5 would work... it has an 18V output.

Also/FYI, the Pedal Power MONDO and Pedal Power ISO-5 are each, height: 1.8 inches.

Cheers!
Cheers,
Ben Resnick

valepark

Post by valepark » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Legend, thanks!

Rez

Post by Rez » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:33 pm

Lol... thanks and anytime! ;)