Pedal Power failure

General discussion and tech talk about the industry standard Pedal Power line of power supplies.
srvwalk

Pedal Power failure

Post by srvwalk » Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 pm

I have an older Pedal Power Power supply with only 1/2 the outputs working.

Are there any schematics available for these units? Any trouble shooting information available? :?:

Trueman

Re: Pedal Power failure

Post by Trueman » Thu May 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Voodoo Labs have a very good Warranty service, you should email them directly and request a RMA number.
Connoisseur of good tone.

http://www.john-trueman.com : Guitarist from Down Under
http://www.guitarpedals.co.nz

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden » Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 am

srvwalk wrote:I have an older Pedal Power Power supply with only 1/2 the outputs working...
That sounds like a very early Pedal Power I, probably 10+ years old. Trueman is right, you should contact us to get an RMA (return authorization) and send it in. Don't worry, we'll take care of you.

Regards,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

Contact info here.

strat585

Post by strat585 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:15 pm

I know this is an old post, but I just registered and thought I would reply.

I've also got an older Pedal Power, and have lost a few of the outputs. I decided to open it up recently and found three bridge rectifiers have failed, these are the W005M's that are just above the 470uf caps. I've picked up a few NTE eqivalents and will be putting them in soon.

The question I have. Have you seen many of the bridge rectifiers go bad on the older Pedal Power units. I lost one within the 1st year and just recently lost 2 more while setting up for a "big" gig. Should I replace all of the rectifiers or just wait until they fail?

Thanks.

BTW, this pedal has been awesome for quite a few years, no noise, hum, nothing.

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:33 pm

strat585 wrote:I know this is an old post, but I just registered and thought I would reply.

I've also got an older Pedal Power, and have lost a few of the outputs. I decided to open it up recently and found three bridge rectifiers have failed, these are the W005M's that are just above the 470uf caps. I've picked up a few NTE eqivalents and will be putting them in soon.

The question I have. Have you seen many of the bridge rectifiers go bad on the older Pedal Power units. I lost one within the 1st year and just recently lost 2 more while setting up for a "big" gig. Should I replace all of the rectifiers or just wait until they fail?

Thanks.

BTW, this pedal has been awesome for quite a few years, no noise, hum, nothing.
Which model Pedal Power is this? Also, the date of manufacture should be marked on the bottom. If you'd like to send it in, we would be happy to repair it. The problem is certainly not the bridge rectifiers. How did you determine this?

Regards,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

strat585

Post by strat585 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks Josh for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I can't check the date on the bottom, I put a velco strip on years ago when I added it to my pedal board. The etching on the PCB is 1997, P/N PP-003-01. This is the original Pedal Power 1.

As for why I think I have a failed bridge rectifier, I have AC voltage from the transformer but once it hits the rectifier, I don't get anything, no DC out. The working ones all give me DC voltage out of the bridge rectifier. As I said earlier, I've lost two more since the first one years ago.

Thanks again.

Josh Fiden
Site Admin

Post by Josh Fiden » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:11 pm

strat585 wrote:Thanks Josh for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I can't check the date on the bottom, I put a velco strip on years ago when I added it to my pedal board. The etching on the PCB is 1997, P/N PP-003-01. This is the original Pedal Power 1.

As for why I think I have a failed bridge rectifier, I have AC voltage from the transformer but once it hits the rectifier, I don't get anything, no DC out. The working ones all give me DC voltage out of the bridge rectifier. As I said earlier, I've lost two more since the first one years ago.

Thanks again.
You're right, that's the very first Pedal Power 1.

It really is unlikely to the point of being impossible that multiple diodes would fail. Those are 100mA outputs and the diodes are rated for 1,500mA continuous. I would guess that what you're seeing is due to the high input impedance of your AC voltmeter. You could try putting a small load across the voltmeter terminals, such as a 1Kohm resistor, to get a more accurate result. The unloaded transformer secondary should show around 12 to 13Vrms. I expect you'll see close to zero.

If you want us to repair it, email or call on Monday and reference this forum thread. It would be done as a warranty repair.

Regards,
Josh Fiden
Founder / CEO

strat585

Post by strat585 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks Josh, I'll give you a call Monday and discuss repair options.

klarcds92

Post by klarcds92 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:04 pm

I have a similar problem with my pedal power (1998 P/N PP-003-002). It has worked great for years and recently i have lost all outputs except for #4. I opened it up, and checked the outputs directly from the transformer. The pins for #4 read voltage through its entire circuit, but none of the others had any output from the transformer. I have a feeling the transformer may have come loose from the board. any ideas?

strat585

Post by strat585 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:32 am

Received my original Pedal Power back after it was fixed under warranty..

10 year old pedal and fixed for free, thanks guys!

-strat585